Corks in beer bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewFanatic

Reaction score
Not sure if this is in right forum or been asked before.

Can you use corks in beer bottles say a 750ml Corona bottle?

You can but you would need to hold them in by wiring them into something like a sparking wine type bottle

Is this because of the shape of the bottle necks? Like a wine bottle has a long slim neck compared to beer bottles?

I have heard of people using beer caps and bottles for wine but I don't understand how the wine breathes in that case?

As Bigjas says you will have problems keeping the corks in, one solution would be champagne cages from home brew shops but i do not know if they will fit the bottles you refer to, why do you want to put beer into wine bottles?

champagne_corks_with_cages.png

Bottle shortage!

Also I drink a variety of difference drinks. Beer cider wine spirits etc so I have a selection of different ones. But I also have over 100 normal wine bottles bought from LHBS

Bottle shortage!

Also I drink a variety of difference drinks. Beer cider wine spirits etc so I have a selection of different ones. But I also have over 100 normal wine bottles bought from LHBS
The main thing you need to consider is if the bottle type you intend to use is up to the job, beer bottles, champagne bottles and pet bottles are made to withstand the build up of co2 without exploding
Your average wine bottle has not been made for wines with co2 so it's best not to use standard wine bottles for primed beer

Yeh naturally. I have over 120 500ml PET bottles some in use some not. It's the wine I have issues with. But it was rectified with a delivery of 30 I got today with corks. Should cover all the WOWS I'm doing and planning!

still wine bottles will not contain the pressure, and your looking at a lot of bottle bombs if you managed to wire down corks into the necks.

the general rule for selecting bottles for conditioned beer is if it contained a still drink originally DONT EVEN CONSIDER IT.

if stuck for bottles head off to the supermarket and buy 2l bottles of the own brand basic range carbonated tap water at circa 10p a bottle it costs well under £2 to bottle a 5gallon batch.

they are a bit flimsy and benefit from 3 hands to pour 2 x holding the bottle to minimise the risk of collapse durring the pour, and a third holding the jug your decanting into..

I used to use the 2 litre bottles but because of them being flimsy as Fil mentioned I switched to 1.5 litre bottles which are far better.

I don't really fancy having 1.5 or 2 litre bottles of wine. With some of these wines quite strong even 750ml is too much!

I might start drinking some 330ml soft drink bottles and collect those

Not sure if this is in right forum or been asked before.

Can you use corks in beer bottles say a 750ml Corona bottle?

IF I'm reading the original Post correctly, you wish to use corks in beer bottles.

The obvious answer is "Yes you can but ..." (There are actually two "buts".)

1. The neck of the beer bottle will need to be long and slender with little or no taper in order to let the cork seal the contents of the bottle from the air. This is very seldom found in beer bottles because they are normally capped and have a sloping neck to enable the beer to be poured without creating too much of a head.

2. If the contents are pressurised (i.e. a "sparkling" wine, a beer or a cider) then not only will the beer bottles need to have the long slender neck indicated above in order to create a seal, the cork will also have to be held in place in a similar manner to that used for champagne.

Although the question wasn't asked, ORDINARY wine bottles should NEVER be used to store "sparkling" wine, beer or cider because they are not designed to withstand the pressure that will be exerted by the CO2 created during the carbonation stage.

I don't really fancy having 1.5 or 2 litre bottles of wine. With some of these wines quite strong even 750ml is too much!

I might start drinking some 330ml soft drink bottles and collect those

:doh: so its wine you want to bottle in beer bottles !! WHoops my bad, the section the post is entered in should have given me the clue ..

so bottling a still wine in beer bottles with a cork should be ok from the safety point of view. tho i would use caps as you would with a beer my concerns would be the cork may not sit in the neck squarely as it would in a wine bottle as the neck may flute outward leaving substantually less glass in contact with the cork and thus reducing the probability of a good lasting seal, cork +wax perhaps may prove better?

I can understand that you like the idea of using beer bottles so that you can open the wine and drink the contents in one session, but what would be wrong with opening a bottle of wine and just recorking or recapping it to drink a little while later

Back