pitching second yeast?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ash132

Reaction score
Got coopers pils kit on the go last night and used the yeast that was in the kit.
Just been reading up and some people have mentioned using a W34/70 yeast in conjunction with the kit yeast.

Just wondering if it would be advisable to order the extra (W34/70) yeast in and pitch that in. Obviously by the time I’ve ordered it and had it delivered it’ll be a few days.

Maybe worth hydrating and chucking in half a pack?

Appreciate any advice.

IMHO No Point at all Ash, by the time you get a second strain of yeast added the original will have grown in population to the point that it will out consume anything added so late.

If you have the capacity to chill the brew to a level that will send the currently pitched strain dormant then perhaps you could attempt the 2 strain pitch when it arrives and you warm up the brew, but i fear that the one already pitched will already have too much of a head-start to diminish the impact the second strain may have.

Im sure the brew will turn out well anyway, cheers..

Thanks Fil. It’s in a fermentation fridge which I’ve now turned on.

Just a thought I have a spare cooper’s euro lager lying around with a L26807 P kit yeast (rumoured to be from Saflager). It’s been less than 24 hours since I put the last batch on. There's foaming going on but not vigorously.

Worth chucking in half a pack at this still early-ish stage?

some yeast combinations have been proven afaik us-05 is a combination of 2 strains which is why 2nd pitches and other saved yeast techniques dont always work quite the same way as a 1st use from pack brew.

cheers guys. I didnt bother with the second yeast pitch. It seems to be bubbling away fine with the kit yeast anyway.

some yeast combinations have been proven afaik us-05 is a combination of 2 strains which is why 2nd pitches and other saved yeast techniques dont always work quite the same way as a 1st use from pack brew.

I've never heard this before. I thought US-05 is fairly well documented to be the Chico strain used by Sierra Nevada Brewery. The same as White Labs WLP001 and Wyeast 1056.

I've never heard this before. I thought US-05 is fairly well documented to be the Chico strain used by Sierra Nevada Brewery. The same as White Labs WLP001 and Wyeast 1056.

Well a wee bit of googling supports what your saying, Mia Culpa, which popular strain pack is it thats a mix then?? this came up in a discussion about 2nd pitching with a dry pack yeast that produced noticeably different results from the 1st pitch, and stuck with me as it was a dry pack i use, and i use s-04 and us-05 more often than not.. no I cant find that thread and tbh im not sure which list/forum it was in even.. but my bad for the mis info.. and thanks for picking it up..

Back