Brewferm diablo

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carling7red

Reaction score
Evening homebrewer's just after some info I've just made the brewferm diablo and it's been in my bottles for 3wks everything was going to plan and the instructions said use 90g of sugar for the bottles which I batch primed in the second vessel before bottling .. put 2 bottles in the fridge for tonight and just opened it and it was like a Coca-Cola bottle going off very lively beer everywhere and sediment floating in the glass .. so had a taste and it tastes nice but why the bottle bomb any ideas and is it too early because they do recommend 8wks cheers Ady

90 grams sounds a lot for a 9ltr kit? But it is on my list to try.....

I have the instructions here, yes it's 90g batch prime.

Bottle bombs suggest that it hadn't fermented out completely (too early for an infection to produce that much CO2). How long did you ferment it for, at what temp and what was the fnishing gravity? I bottled an Oud Vlaams Bruin yesterday after 16 days in the FV, it was clear going into the bottles, was yours clear or did it still hav suspended yeast?

I think the Brewferm kits overstate the amount of priming sugar. I used 80g for a 15L batch of Ambiorix and it's climbing out of the bottle. The recommended amount was 95g.

I only use 100g for most 23L brews and that's why I cut back.

Hi Darrell m it was in the fermenter bucket for 11 days and after I checked the FG it was exactly what the instructions stated so everything was fine before bottling and it looked clear whilst bottling too but while it was fermenting the temperature was extremely hot so had to move the fv to a cooler place so don't know if that may have affected it

Two things;

A) Brew Kits are notoriously generous with priming sugar because they assume that people want to drink the beer asap.

B) Following on from point A, if the beer hadn't reached its final gravity and you primed it, with said generous amount of priming sugar, you will find that you have gushers on your hands.

Where as a correctly calculated priming sugar quantity may have only resulted in 1-1.5 more volumes of co2 more than you wanted, of course this depends on the gravity at which it was bottled.

If you were miles away from FG then you're going to get gushers and bottle bombs anyway.

I tend to be more conservative with priming sugar because It takes me a while to mature and drink a batch.

I think that the point to take home from this is to make sure gravity is stable for several days prior to bottling. If it is stable but you suspect that it's higher than it should be then move the Fermenter to a warm place for a week or so and give it a gentle swirl every day. Leaving it longer will do it no harm.

I recently chanced bottling my Wit beer a little early, but only because it's a beer that is meant to be lively, carbonation wise, and is best consumed relatively young. Had it been a different style I'd have left it.

Hope this helps.

Back