Raspberry wheat beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin54

Landlord.
Reaction score
Right, Im going to have a go at this one out of Greg Hughes book, but I have a question....?
Do I crush my raspberries??....and
if so just a general bash about or the liquidiser route..
thought please chaps.

@wfr42 brewed this and sent me a bottle, he will be able to tell you what he did.

I have a Wheat on the go and intend on adding thawed blackberries to it for around 5 days before bottling. Just going to bung em in whole then rack before i bottle, same as i have done with my b/berry stout.
The recipe i vaguely followed was AG but i have done extract, not that it should matter but it said add them for( 53 )days at primary ferment- oh well:lol:
Robin, are the raspberries frozen? watch out for nasties if fresh

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh (53), should read 3:doh::mrgreen:

I have a Wheat on the go and intend on adding thawed blackberries to it for around 5 days before bottling. Just going to bung em in whole then rack before i bottle, same as i have done with my b/berry stout.
The recipe i vaguely followed was AG but i have done extract, not that it should matter but it said add them for 53 days at primary ferment- oh well:lol:
Robin, are the raspberries frozen? watch out for nasties if fresh
GH say add after 2 days and leave for a week
(PS Im still in the planning stage)
But I reckon I would put them in after 5 days and take them out after 7.
And yes, I would go the frozen fruit route.

Iirc I left the brew for a week.

Siphoned off a dj to keep plain and a dj to add cherries to.

I left the raspberries in until bottling (so a full week) and left them to defrost before adding to the brew. The freezing process should have killed any nasties.

Have a read on here but I had a similar problem as others of the wheat contributing to a lower than advertised starting gravity. (I chucked on half a tin of golden syrup to help boost it).

Iirc I left the brew for a week.

Siphoned off a dj to keep plain and a dj to add cherries to.

I left the raspberries in until bottling (so a full week) and left them to defrost before adding to the brew. The freezing process should have killed any nasties.

Have a read on here but I had a similar problem as others of the wheat contributing to a lower than advertised starting gravity. (I chucked on half a tin of golden syrup to help boost it).
Did the golden syrup affect the final taste at all, or were you pleased with the result??

I couldn't notice it (was half a pound in 5 gallons). The raspberries gave the lasting flavour. Quite nice and sharp.

It's an interesting brew but not one I'm in a rush to repeat (partly cost). It's a nice change but very different from what I normally reach for.

I dumped 10l of Weissbir onto 1kg frozen berries from liddle cost �£4.60. Should know in a weeks time. If its good i will do another brew with blackberries.
Let us know how it tastes:thumb:

I used about 700G of thawed frozen raspberries in 1/2 a 15L wheat beer. According to my notes, I split the beer after primary had finished, added the mashed fruit and stuck it back in the brew fridge for another week.

Just picked 1.5kg of blackberries today to be used in a porter for christmas Can't wait.

Let us know how it tastes:thumb:

Very dry is the answer. Before additions it ended up at 1010 at 5.64% and after adding the Raspberries it fermented down to 1004 making it 6.43% without taking into account the sugar from the berries.
To make this drinkable for my tastes i am going to make a Raspberry syrup to add to each glass. Surprised to be honest how much sugar the yeast has consumed. Will give it a go in 2 weeks and let you know.

Back