Small Batch Milk Stout Brewday + Video

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncmcdonald

Reaction score
Last weekend I put together a really simple and quick milk stout, using malt extract.

I made a video of the whole process which is up on my website here. I'm not sure how to embed the youtube video, so here is the url:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rWRyH3MjZ8[/ame]

I usually brew all grain and switching back to extract made the whole brewday seem like a breeze in comparison. The whole beer was done on the hob in a stockpot. The recipe was as follows:

Code:
Milk Stout Extract - Sweet Stout
================================================================================
Batch Size: 9 L
Boil Size: 9.8 L
Boil Time: 60 min
Efficiency: 70%
OG: 1.055
FG: 1.011
ABV: 5.4%
Bitterness: 35.5 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 38 SRM (Morey)

Fermentables
================================================================================
                       Name        Type    Amount Mashed Late Yield Color
  Dry Extract (DME)                      1.200 kg     No   No   95%   8 L
        Chocolate Malt (UK)       Grain 140.000 g     No   No   73% 450 L
             Roasted Barley       Grain 140.000 g     No   No   55% 300 L
 Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L       Grain 140.000 g     No   No   74%  60 L
       Milk Sugar (Lactose)       Sugar 120.000 g     No  Yes   76%   0 L
Total grain: 1.740 kg

Hops
    Name Alpha   Amount  Use       Time Form  IBU
 Fuggles  5.5% 30.000 g Boil 60.000 min Leaf 35.5

Yeast
                 Name Type Form    Amount   Stage
 Danstar - Nottingham  Ale  Dry 11.001 mL Primary

Excellent video...in fact probably the best Ive seen in awhile. Well done

Continuing on from the brewday, I managed to film the bottling of this Milk Stout too. I thought some people might be interested so here it is.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-BjiZx1PoU[/ame]

Great video.

When i sterilise my syphon i pour milton fluid down it using a funnel then put it into the bowl of milton the other stuff is sitting in so it stays mostly full of stereliser i repeat the process 10 minutes later (5 minutes from it being ready to use), a bit belt and braces maybe but its something i have always done.

Nice video, I was wondering last night what went into a milk stout and thought I must find a recipe just out of interest and you've saved me forgetting and done all the research. Nice one, let us know how it turns out.

Update just to ask a question, I noticed you added then seived out the hops does that work better than putting them in a separate muslin sock during the boil which seems to me easier.

Nice video, I was wondering last night what went into a milk stout and thought I must find a recipe just out of interest and you've saved me forgetting and done all the research. Nice one, let us know how it turns out.

Update just to ask a question, I noticed you added then seived out the hops does that work better than putting them in a separate muslin sock during the boil which seems to me easier.

Thanks, I have used muslin socks before but just find it simple enough using a sieve as well. As long as the sieve is clean and you sanitise it then there should be no problems.

Latest posts

Back