Blackberry again

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tau

Landlord.
Reaction score
Well went for a picnic so got inlaws to pick a few blackberries on wednesday, only had one container suitable 2.5lbs perfect for a gallon. Put into saucepan 2.5 camdens and left for 2 days as they were staying and had to make sure they drank lots of wine.

They left yesterday, but noticed yesterday that local blackberries where thrice the size of last years pityful blackberries. So went picking sloes at first only found a few hand fulls of greenish/black sloes so put a few bananas on them to ripen for possible addition to bb wine. I moved no move than 5 yards and picked 5 and a half pounds of bb's, big, black and juicy, unfortunatly I'm white and that's that's not my preference.

Washed bb's form so3 liquid and poured boiling water on, brought to boil and simmered, 1kg of sugar in each 2 dj's 2.5lbs of bb's in each, 2 tea bag 300ml into each dj onto sugar. All BB's into dj. disolved sugar.

When cool added 1/2 tsp citric to each, 1 tsp nutrient and 1 tsp of pectolase, then harris yeast (rated 18%) could be bothered to take og.

Third dj, going through sulphination with 3 camdens before prep'. Currently halfcut so think I'll wait till tommorow before starting third dj.

1st fermenting away.

Just got strangled by the wife, so thought I'd post an update to the blackberry wine before it's too late and i've been topped. Did the third gallon with 3lbs of blackberries and added 100g of underipe sloes to the second gallon to give it a bit of bite.

Racked the must off, the dj with the added sloes smells great and might try to get some more to add to the other blackerberry dj's tomorrow weather permitting.

Added 120g of ripe sloes to dj1 & dj3, removed stones boiled and added, should improve the blackberry somewhat.

added 100g of underipe sloes to the second gallon to give it a bit of bite.

Just racked dj2 onto 1/2 camden, activity in airlock had stopped, sg 0.990, if secondary had taken place not enough. The sloes are quite the dominant flavour overpowering the blackberries at the moment, added finnings and will leave as long as possible (until I need the dj) for secondary to start, if no activity then into the bottle for it to take place there.

Racked off must and topped up, no reading taken.

Racked dj1 & 3, removed sloes and quite a bit a sediment. Will leave till at least end of month. No camden added to promote malo/latic ferment.

Racked dj2 onto 1/2 camden, topped up with 2 redbush bags tea. Additional finings added. Dj1 & 2 finings added yesterday, will rack each over next two days and top up with redush tea.

Edit: Racked dj1 & dj3, added finings and 2 redbush tea bag tea as top up to each. As above 1/2 camden racked onto.

Back