Sparky needed

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElChemist

Absolute numpty...
Reaction score
Need some information from a sparky if there is one online...

My bro in law works for a company that makes cabling and can pretty much get me whatever I need to get electricity into my new shed but I'm struggling as to what wire I need to enable it to carry a minimum of 30 amps.

There is a wire chooser on the Doncaster Cables website. Would anyone be able to have a look and recommend a cable for me and give me a list as to what else I need to buy to have this happen?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

You need 30 amp reinforced cable probably direct from your fuse box

Depends on length of run from your fuse box to the shed. 4mm armoured xlpe will carry over 32amps depending on the length of run.
I have my own electrical business, there's a lot of factors you need to look at.

Also if you are running a new circuit in, especially to the outside you should have it part p registered with the local authority

Hotpot beat me to it, most people don't take into account how a cable is installed, length of run how it's installed (is it buried clipped direct, run under insulation or with other cables). if you dont know how to calculate a cable then you shouldn't really be doing it yourself. Get a proper sparky in to do it. We wouldn't want you having an accident or setting fire to the house/she'd would we.

Yeah, probably should have pointed out that I won't be doing it myself and a proper sparky will be coming in to do it. I've had bad experiences with electricity including a leaking roof and a 3 phase welder... not pleasant.

I just want to make sure that the kit being fitted is top notch as most sparkies in my experience tend to buy cheap and charge high rather than buy the best and not drink 40 cups of tea then charge you for 6 hours work for a 20 minute job...

Hey were not all that bad I usually have no more than fifteen tea breaks a day.
Getting to the point though, if your not paying for the cable throw in a 6mm gives you the option of fusing at 40amps if you decide to expand your brew shed in the future.

What length of run are you looking at then? Will it be buried or fastened to a fence?

Fastened to the fence in conduit and it's roughly 40 meters.

So it's just twin and earth cable then if it's in a conduit? It would probably be easier, quicker and cheaper to run a armoured cable in instead.
If it was armoured I would run a 3 core 6mm.
If it's just twin and earth I would run a 10mm.
But 10mm would be a pig to run in conduit.

Need some information from a sparky if there is one online...

My bro in law works for a company that makes cabling and can pretty much get me whatever I need to get electricity into my new shed but I'm struggling as to what wire I need to enable it to carry a minimum of 30 amps.

There is a wire chooser on the Doncaster Cables website. Would anyone be able to have a look and recommend a cable for me and give me a list as to what else I need to buy to have this happen?

Thanks

Do you mean 'minimum' of 30A. That means it could be any value above 30A :-o .

Just budgeting for the fact that I may have a fridge, some lighting, my HLT and my soldering iron on all at once... just building some redundancy into the equation...

Thanks Hop will get that sorted.

Latest posts

Back