Blackberry wine , first attempt , a few questions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jambonsambo

Reaction score
Hi all ,

I am going to try Blackberry wine this Autumn ,

I will be using this guys recipe http://www.carllegge.com/2011/07/blackberry-wine-recipe/

However his recipe is for 4.5 Litres of wine while I am hoping to make 10 Litres .

So my Questions really is , can I just double up on all the ingredients below to make double the amount of wine ?

Thanks for reading and for any suggestions

J

Ingredients

1.75kg blackberries (slightly more or less will make no difference)
1.5kg sugar (we use ordinary British white granulated)
4.5 litres water (boiling)
2 tsps pectic enzyme (this breaks down the pectin in the fruit which helps the wine to clear)
Yeast nutrient (follow your brand’s instructions. You can substitute 1/4 tsp of Marmite, yeast extract or malt syrup dissolved in a little hot water)
1tsp wine yeast

You only need about 2 and a half pounds, about 1.2kg of blackberries to the gallon, if you want sweet then 3lb - 1.362kg and you'll find that 1.5kg of sugar is way too much, 1kg at most with that much blackberry and make sure you get a high abv tolerant yeast to at least 18% or you'll find it too sweet.

Hi all ,

I am going to try Blackberry wine this Autumn ,

I will be using this guys recipe http://www.carllegge.com/2011/07/blackberry-wine-recipe/

However his recipe is for 4.5 Litres of wine while I am hoping to make 10 Litres .

So my Questions really is , can I just double up on all the ingredients below to make double the amount of wine ?

Thanks for reading and for any suggestions

J

Ingredients

1.75kg blackberries (slightly more or less will make no difference)
1.5kg sugar (we use ordinary British white granulated)
4.5 litres water (boiling)
2 tsps pectic enzyme (this breaks down the pectin in the fruit which helps the wine to clear)
Yeast nutrient (follow your brand’s instructions. You can substitute 1/4 tsp of Marmite, yeast extract or malt syrup dissolved in a little hot water)
1tsp wine yeast

welcome to the forum

what is your previous brewing experience ?

+ what yeast will you be using? youngs wine yeast ?

+ how do you prepare the marite if your not using yeast nutrient ?

welcome to the forum

what is your previous brewing experience ?

+ what yeast will you be using? youngs wine yeast ?

+ how do you prepare the marite if your not using yeast nutrient ?

Hi Personal ,

Besides pots of tea , this will be my first ever shot at brewing .

I have got a red star red wine yeast .

I also have peptide and champden tablets .

What I am really having difficulty figuring out is how to tweak the recipes I find online so that I get an output if ten litres of wine .I'm not sure if I should increase all the ingredients proportionately or just the fruit and water ratios . Any help there is much appreciated .

Hi Personal ,

Besides pots of tea , this will be my first ever shot at brewing .

I have got a red star red wine yeast .

I also have peptide and champden tablets .

What I am really having difficulty figuring out is how to tweak the recipes I find online so that I get an output if ten litres of wine .I'm not sure if I should increase all the ingredients proportionately or just the fruit and water ratios . Any help there is much appreciated .

EAZY Jambon

in all honesty i would just get into the swing of things first - i know your full of beans and want to get into and tweaing recipes n all but that will come with time.

Learning the basics and getting into a good practice of cleansing and follow some procedures would be the best thing to do

i would follow a 4.5 litre ( 1 Demijohn) recipe first if you have a demijohn ( DJ ) ready to hand simply as once youve done it before you will learn the process's that are going to become 2nd nature eg rehydrating yeast, then learning about pitching the yeast at the right temp depending on the yeast and what tolerances it adheres to etc etc

it never gets any easier, you only get better :grin:

Simply double the fruit, sugar and water. Process the fruit the same day of picking, otherwise it will start to go mouldy. I have started a 1 gallon batch using 1.5 kg with 1 litre of red grape juice and 700 g of sugar. I let it ferment for 3 days then strained the pulp. 1.5 kg of blackberries yields 1 litre of juice. After straining it's best to leave in in a bucket for 24 hours because fine pulp will rise to the surface. Skim this off with a sieve before transferring to a dj. At this point you can add oak chips to improve the flavour. The colour fades if exposed to light so either use a brown dj or cover with a bag.
If you have access to elderberries, which ripen at the same time, you can add some in place of blackberries. This gives a much better wine.

Latest posts

Back