Rye IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peteplus1

Regular.
Reaction score
Has anyone got a tried and tested recipe for a rye beer? I love the spice and tang of rye. How much to use etc? Currently drinking a lovely IPA by Odyssey Brew Co.

One of the best RyePAs I've tasted is Firestone Walker Wookey Jack, absolutely delicious. There is a clone recipe on HBT which apparently comes from their head brewer:
81% Pale Malt
10% Rye Malt
3% Cara-Rye
3% Carafa III
3% Wheat (Midnight)

Bittered to 62 IBU then loads of amarillo and citra late and dry hops

White Labs WLP002

Mash @ 64 for 60 min

Estimated Original Gravity: 1.080 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.015 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 8.6 %

Ferment at 17°

Albino Squid Assassin is one of my favourite beers, you can get the recipe here https://www.brewdog.com/diydog

I'm currently toying with the idea of scaling it down for a lower ABV version for something I can drink more often

Albino Squid Assassin is one of my favourite beers, you can get the recipe here https://www.brewdog.com/diydog

I'm currently toying with the idea of scaling it down for a lower ABV version for something I can drink more often

I forgot about this one of Brew Dogs. Yes it is a nice drink I've had it. Had the DIY download for a while just never thought to look. I did their Moshi Moshi which turned out lovely.

Like you I would be happier at a lighter version of this . Bit hefty for my tastes at 9.2% to drink a lot of. You'll have to let me know how you get on if you don't mind sharing?

Like you I would be happier at a lighter version of this . Bit hefty for my tastes at 9.2% to drink a lot of. You'll have to let me know how you get on if you don't mind sharing?

This is my scaled recipe for ASA aiming for OG of 1.050, so around 5% ABV and 20L into the fermenter.
I'll hopefully be brewing this weekend, so I'll let you know in a month or so how it turns out.

82.4% Irish Lager 3923 grams
6.3% Crystal Med Bairds 298 grams
2.1% Crystal Dark Bairds 102 grams
1% Carafa Special 1 47 grams
8.2% Rye Base Malt Weyermann 392 grams

11.7 IBU Magnum Pellets (9.8%AA) 11 grams at 60 mins
15.2 IBU Chinook Pellets (12.8%AA) 22 grams at 15 mins
4 IBU Citra Pellets (13.5%AA) 5.5 grams at 15 mins
0 IBU Chinook Pellets (12.8%AA) 32.9 grams at 0 mins
0 IBU Citra Pellets (13.5%AA) 16.5 grams at 0 mins
0 IBU Chinook Pellets (12.8%AA) 87.8 grams (Dry Hopped)
0 IBU Citra Pellets (13.5%AA) 65.9 grams (Dry Hopped)

Bottled my "Albino Prawn Assassin" at the weekend, tasted good from the sample jar.

OG was 1.052 and FG 1.010, so came out around 5.6%

This was also my first attempt at repitching slurry (in this case US-05) from a previous batch and it seems to have turned out nicely, so I repitched again from this batch into the next brew.

Latest posts

Back