Degassing Wand

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewFanatic

Reaction score
I have a degassing wand. Exact same shape as the one in Chippy Tea's DIY version on this forum, here is how to make one - https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/degassing-wine-the-quick-and-easy-way.48971/

It works beautifully in 1GAL DJ's but in a 5 gal FV or bucket, it doesnt really do anything. I set my drill to hammer settings and nothing. Wine barely even moves.

I have seen beer paddles with holes in them for aerating worts. Would this work better?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reverse the rotation on the drill after a minute or so and keep repeating that for a few mins. YouR seeing the DJ foam up due to small space and small neck compared to a FV it will still be degassing you just need to work it a bit more due to larger amounts, using the hammer on a drill in wine won't do anything.

When i degas my FV i put the drill on forward and the stir it in the opposite direction, then i switch to reverse and do the same, it is not as good as in a DJ but it does the job, another trick is to heat the shaft half way down and bend it slightly so that it "wobbles" in the FV (for want of a better word)

I will try that stirring in the other direction to the wand suggestion. There is a version for 5Gal buckets going on the web but its costly at nearly 20 quid

When you do it in one direction it causes a huge vortex, we try not to add air to our home brew so I prefer the forward/reverse method.

When you do it in one direction it causes a huge vortex, we try not to add air to our home brew so I prefer the forward/reverse method.

I wouldn't know Chippy.

Degassing wasn't invented when I made wine. I only make cider and beer at the moment, but do look at coat hangers now and again thinking I should make a wand.

Pirate_Pete i have just re-read my post and it comes over as arsey it was not meant to sound that way, i did a fair bit of looking about when i decided to make my own degassing wand and there were alot of comments about the best method to use, i noticed as you change direction there is a much bigger release of CO2 than if you do it in one direction so i stuck to that method. :thumb:

Pirate_Pete i have just re-read my post and it comes over as arsey it was not meant to sound that way, i did a fair bit of looking about when i decided to make my own degassing wand and there were alot of comments about the best method to use, i noticed as you change direction there is a much bigger release of CO2 than if you do it in one direction so i stuck to that method. :thumb:

No problem Chippy.

As I said 30+ years ago degassing wasn't invented. I hadn't heard of it until I found this forum last year.

When I get around to making a WOW I'll find a coathanger and make myself a wand.

Main reason for degassing is to aid the clearing with fining agents, natural clearing and degassing is time and space consuming where not everyone has room to leave FV's sitting around clearing for months on end. A degas and 1ml each of kwik clears A and B and a FV/DJ sitting for 1-2 days or multiple DJ's sitting about for 6 months + is a no brainer.

The tools her used in this video is completely different to the wands im using.

Having said that, the 'whisk' like tool he uses looks really good. Anyone point me in the right direction?

Edit to add:- The wand works beautifully in 1gal glass DJs, the issue lies in using it in 5GAL buckets

Have a look at this if you like it (and the price) save 5% by using the discount code in the sponsors forum :thumb:

http://www.geterbrewed.com/fizz-x-agitating-rod-and-degasser/

http://www.thehomebrewcompany.co.uk...sing&autocomplate_id=&search_in_description=1

GEB1706.jpg

Main reason for degassing is to aid the clearing with fining agents, natural clearing and degassing is time and space consuming where not everyone has room to leave FV's sitting around clearing for months on end. A degas and 1ml each of kwik clears A and B and a FV/DJ sitting for 1-2 days or multiple DJ's sitting about for 6 months + is a no brainer.

If only kwik clear were available in Australia.:-(
This is probably one of the reasons I haven't got around to making wine.
Chewie in the old days we did leave it lying around for months on end.

Funnily enough I can find it for sale in New Zealand.

I've seen that tool Chippy. My only concern is the metal rod ( if it is metal) as I would rather use 100% plastic

I've seen that tool Chippy. My only concern is the metal rod ( if it is metal) as I would rather use 100% plastic

Fizz-X Wine Mixer, Stirrer, Degasser - This tool serves two purposes, degassing your wine and stirring when adding additives to your wine or beer. Unlike a spoon or a paddle the Fizz-X fits through the narrow opening of a carboy. This handy tool attaches to an ordinary electric drill and spins inside your carboy for mixing or driving out excess CO2. Works well for degassing wine or beer in a primary, too. Made from stainless steel and food grade plastic.

Latest posts

Back