Hello all - new member and first WOW on the go.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pvt_ak

Budding Brewer !
Reaction score
Great forum folks , very informative and good crowd.

I'm a complete newbie - but thanks to the forum and one of Roddys recipes I've got my first brew on the go:

856171526b353da23f25e3d24ba7e287.jpg

Brewed up last night and bubbling away already [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum :cheers:

I would put that in a tray or bucket if it has only just started to ferment as i am fairly sure it will overflow. :wink:

Welcome to the forum.... Looking good.

What ingredients you have in there?

Cheers ! I've just moved it back out of the cupboard I placed it in and put back into kitchen in a tray [emoji106]

I followed a recipe from here by Roddy:

6L Red grape juice
6L Apple
3 Lowicz
1L strong tea
2kg sugar
5tsp Pectolase
4tsp yeast compound
Topped up with water.

Got a steady bubble every 30 seconds at the moment !

So... Day 4 update:

As suggested above I had a slight eruption on day 2 Only mild spluttering from the airlock which became red and a splattering of liquid over the wall behind.... Oops. Lesson: leave more room between liquid and neck next time ?

Day 4 though after cleaning and replacing airlock. All calm, bubbling away nicely [emoji106]

I got a right bollocking off Mrs Tea when a wilko strawberry wine did that all over the wall in the kitchen when i was at work, a tip to anyone reading this that may make the wilko kits in future DO NOT top up on day (2 or 3) as it says in the instructions, leave it until day 5 to be on the safe side.

I got a right bollocking off Mrs Tea when a wilko strawberry wine did that all over the wall in the kitchen when i was at work, a tip to anyone reading this that may make the wilko kits in future DO NOT top up on day (2 or 3) as it says in the instructions, leave it until day 5 to be on the safe side.

[emoji23][emoji23] My Mrs was not impressed either Chippy - I'm hoping the taste and the idea of much cheaper and better tasting wines, beers and ciders wins her back [emoji106]

Quick update - bubbling slowed down to about 1 every 3 seconds .
Took an OG reading and up at 1.015 so figure needs to sit another week ?

Quick update - bubbling slowed down to about 1 every 3 seconds .
Took an OG reading and up at 1.015 so figure needs to sit another week ?

good work mate, yeh I should probably put a overflow warning on my recipes, I use FV's with enough headroom to cope with even the most vigorous ferments !

It should ferment out to less than 1.000 (mine are usually 0.990), although I think it was the strawberry varieties of mine that struggled to get right down to 0.990 actually

Did you taste it when you took an SG reading? When it gets close to 1.000 I tend to taste it. If it's to your taste then rack and stabilise it. If you like it dry keep it going. For a sweet wine I stabilise it somewhere between 1.000 and 1.010

Did you taste it when you took an SG reading? When it gets close to 1.000 I tend to taste it. If it's to your taste then rack and stabilise it. If you like it dry keep it going. For a sweet wine I stabilise it somewhere between 1.000 and 1.010

Had a sneaky taste - pleasantly surprised but want it a little drier so keeping it on and checking each day.

This brewing business is addictive [emoji106]

Certainly is! Let's see if you feel the same after bottling. I absolutely hate doing it. My real negative with home brewing

Certainly is! Let's see if you feel the same after bottling. I absolutely hate doing it. My real negative with home brewing

What about BiB (for wine obviously) ? I am about to produce my first homebrew - about 45 litres. Its all going to go into 3L Bag in Boxes.

I picked up 3 x strawberry and 3x cherry last night. I note they do have some caramel flavour sulphite in the ingredients. Still ok to brew ?

Pasteurized
From concentrated juices
No preservatives added

Ingredients:
Sugar (A) and/or Glucose-Fructose Syrup (B), Water, Raspberry Juice made from Concentrated Raspberry Juice (2.8%), Concentrated Multifruit Juice, Concentrate of Black Carrot, Colours: Anthocyanins and Sulphite Ammonia Caramel, Acidity Regulator: Citric Acid, Enriching Substance: Vitamin C (L-Ascorbic Acid), Aroma, A, B - depending on the used ingredients, printed on the cap

I picked up 3 x strawberry and 3x cherry last night. I note they do have some caramel flavour sulphite in the ingredients. Still ok to brew ?

yeh no issues there mate, I've used both of those before and never any problems at all, they ferment away nicely

Back