National home brew comp

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JMHO...I dont like competitions in judging HB. I, personally,brew because I want to brew, not to be compared against some one else.
"My beer is better than your beer.....etc"
Constructive critism is more than welcome, share advice, techniques, but please dont say "my beer is better than yours"....thats why I dont like comps.
Agree or dont agree...that is your choice.
Im not a liberal left winger...where there are no winners/loosers.
It just takes the fun out of it.
JMHO

Thinking quite hard about this. I think the only way to make a judgement on HB, is by comparing a HB to a widely available, commercial beer.
Example....(just my current store bought beer...St Austell, Proper Job).
Lets see who get get a clone, closest
JMHO

But in BJCP competitions the beers are judged against quite specific guidelines, so the idea is to score them on stylistic accuracy, not on which beer tastes the best. Because of that I think they are great for getting honest feedback and highlighting faults which can then help us improve as brewers.
If you enjoy your own brew and that's all you care about then I agree competitions are pointless, but if you want to improve as a brewer then they are very useful.

But in BJCP competitions the beers are judged against quite specific guidelines, so the idea is to score them on stylistic accuracy, not on which beer tastes the best. Because of that I think they are great for getting honest feedback and highlighting faults which can then help us improve as brewers.
If you enjoy your own brew and that's all you care about then I agree competitions are pointless, but if you want to improve as a brewer then they are very useful.

Agreed. It's the ability to create something "to a style" and that is the real skill. And definitely something to aspire to.

It's not creativity as such. Which some are looking for.

But a real skill and demonstration of brewery ability that is not to be underestimated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How did you fair Dan? Not much interest in some categories which is strange. Might have to give it a go next year

Come on dan spill the beans?

Happy to share - just still waiting for the score for my oatmeal stout and judging sheets for both entries to be uploaded.

Can tell you that I got 31 for my APA though

27 on my Blonde Ale which was lumped in with the Pale Ale category. First ever competition so more than happy with that.

I scored 20 for my Jasmine IPA. Don't know what I really expected in my first competition but I guess that's lower than I hoped for. Looking forward to seeing the tasting sheets though - criticism is always useful!
DA

Have now got the score for my oatmeal stout.

Before the big reveal a bit of context:

This is the 2nd comp I've entered. The 1st was the LAB Black Friday comp last Nov.
I'd already brewed a stout with oatmeal in it before hearing about this comp, so this seemed like the best category to enter, but it wasn't brewed to style or with the comp in mind, and I scored 24.

Wanting to improve on this I entered an oatmeal stout this time around that I brewed 'to style' and taking into account the feedback from the previous comp. - and have scored 24 again :lol::oops::lol::oops::doh:

Personally I thought the 2nd attempt was a lot truer to style and generally better - but what do I know? - apart from there's still lots to learn.

Looking forward to reading the judging sheets when they're available & I'll be back next year with 30+ pointer for sure!
:cheers:

Has anyone who entered started to receive their feedback/score sheets? Understand they were to be uploaded to the website.

Has anyone who entered started to receive their feedback/score sheets? Understand they were to be uploaded to the website.

I haven't yet. Apparently I know someone who knows the organiser and he's flat out busy at the mo... Guess I'll just be patient :-)

Me neither. I twittered Ali on Monday and he said he was scanning them in however nothings been received as yet.

DA

I had imagined links might appear under the Actions tab on the entries section. Purely speculation though.

That's what I thought too - I've haven't got mine yet either.
I've saved one bottle of each brew to drink when they come through to hopefully help understand the feedback.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back