Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Beer Brewing "How-To" Guides > How to build a stir plate for less than ten quid

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 15-09-2016, 07:48 AM   #11
cheapbrew
Junk and disorderly

Liked 555 Times on 432 Posts
Likes Given: 674

Any chance of putting the links, or item numbers as a parts list for this for electrical luddites please.
leepeelee Likes This 
Old 15-09-2016, 09:58 AM   #12
strange-steve
Quantum Brewer

Liked 957 Times on 637 Posts
Likes Given: 303

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapbrew View Post
Any chance of putting the links, or item numbers as a parts list for this for electrical luddites please.
Yeah sure, the the reason I didn't include links in the op is because they will go out of date after a while but here they are:

Fan
PWM speed controler
Magnets
12v supply
Stir bar
People Like This 
Old 15-09-2016, 07:51 PM   #13
cheapbrew
Junk and disorderly

Liked 555 Times on 432 Posts
Likes Given: 674

Thanks Steve, you are a star, I wasn't sure on how many wires for the fan, or what amps for power supply and controller and size of magnets and stir bar, but Now Ordered �£7-55

I probably have a 12v power supply and PC fan in my junk box that would do, but as its only a few quid for the new ones I cannot be arsed looking through junk boxes.

Last edited by cheapbrew; 15-09-2016 at 08:03 PM. Reason: mistake
strange-steve Likes This 
Old 16-09-2016, 06:08 PM   #14
brumbrew

Liked 466 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 817

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapbrew View Post
Thanks Steve, you are a star, I wasn't sure on how many wires for the fan, or what amps for power supply and controller and size of magnets and stir bar, but Now Ordered �£7-55

I probably have a 12v power supply and PC fan in my junk box that would do, but as its only a few quid for the new ones I cannot be arsed looking through junk boxes.
Mines made entirely out of junk. The speed controller of mine is just a volume knob from an old stereo that was on the street.

The usb lead is one that was already broken, at the phone end. So good for me I just pop it into a phone usb charger when I use it.

The fan was actually the only purchase. But from a local pc store and it was only a quid as it was 'scrap' to them anyway.

I suggest everyone do it. I've harvested some good yeasts that just need 24 hours back on the plate before they're ready to go.
Chippy_Tea Likes This 
Old 17-09-2016, 02:21 PM   #15
strange-steve
Quantum Brewer

Liked 957 Times on 637 Posts
Likes Given: 303

Quote:
Originally Posted by brumbrew View Post
Mines made entirely out of junk. The speed controller of mine is just a volume knob from an old stereo that was on the street.

The usb lead is one that was already broken, at the phone end. So good for me I just pop it into a phone usb charger when I use it.

The fan was actually the only purchase. But from a local pc store and it was only a quid as it was 'scrap' to them anyway.

I suggest everyone do it. I've harvested some good yeasts that just need 24 hours back on the plate before they're ready to go.
I like your style, clever use of the usb cable too

Old 19-09-2016, 10:07 AM   #16
chuffer

Liked 140 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 174

great guide - cheers!

Old 20-09-2016, 11:42 PM   #17
Pirate_Pete

Liked 157 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by brumbrew View Post

This is pretty much the same as the bits I've collected except I didn't pay for the fan either.

I was driving past a house one Sunday morning and there was a computer there. 5 minutes later on the way back I stopped to pick it up. Then the lady who was putting the junk out walked down the driveway. I told her I wanted the fans and the magnets out of the hard drive. She was quite happy it was going to some use. Speed control I have is out of some old computer speakers.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:23 PM   #18
Martybhoy1980

Liked 104 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Good guide. I'm definitely considering doing this to increase my yield.

What size of stirrer did you use?

Old 06-10-2016, 07:28 PM   #19
Martybhoy1980

Liked 104 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Ah...just saw the links to the parts.

Good work and thanks for the links.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:40 PM   #20
IainM

Liked 803 Times on 564 Posts
Likes Given: 372

I've got all the parts except the stirrer now. Hopefully I can get it ready in time to build up some Wyeast American Ale II for my upcoming Black IPA.
Conditioning: BBNo1:1 Citra saison, Chevallier bitter, Blackberry wine, Elderberry wine, Plum wine
Drinking: Cwtch, Bures Gold, Perry, Cider, Gales Festival Mild (GW clone), RIS, Winebuddy Merlot, Mead, Cyser, Melomel
Previous good'uns: RyeIPA, NEDIPA, Bitter (HBF comp 2nd place), Perry from scratch, Hobgob clone, DIYDog Dogma, Mild, BIPA x 3, ginger beer

Tags
cheap stir plate, how to make stir plate, stir plate