Simply Pale Ale - First Attempt at Cascade Dry Hopping

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjacksonuk

Reaction score
Morning All,

Over the summer I brewed and bottled a Coopers European Larger just in time for Christmas. However, I have brewing fever and want to brew something else.

To fix my addition, I have bought:
  • Simply Pale Ale Kit
  • Light Beet Kit Enhancer
  • Cascade Hop Pellets
  • Safale S04 Beer Yeast
  • Brewing Sugar for SV
  • New Barel Tap

In the past, I have ever only brewed larger and cider and wanted to try something else. Recently, I have been buying commercial pale ales with various Hops trying to become familar with the different hops. So I have decided to brew my own pale ale and use cascade.

My intention is to let the primary fermentation take place for at least 7 days and then add the cascade hops. I have had a look around to find any suggestions on much hops I should add but there doesn't seem to be definite answer. Does anyone have any suggestions for a 23L pale ale batch?

I'll keep you posted on how I get on. :cheers:

How much hops do you have?? You will get a variety of answers no doubt, and some people will say bung the lot in which I can understand but since this is your first one I would go on the more cautious side and stick to something like 50 grams.

Cascade is a lovely hop, you get a floral citrus flavour from it which is a bit lychee

My experience of dry hopping is that it's all down to personal choice and taste.
I have made a Youngs AIPA with 100g of kit hops, and it turned out as I believe it should, a dry hop with 50g of Admiral that was too much, and dry hops with 25g of hops and you didn't really notice the hop addition.
Based on my experience of using Cascade my suggestion is you go for 50g as your dry hop. You could add more but I would certainly not go above 100g (although others may disagree)
You then have to decide how to add the hops, i.e chuck em in or use a nylon or muslin bag. This will give you a bit more on the pro's and con's of both methods.
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=61045
I chuck em in if the brew is going into a barrel, but use a sock over the end of siphon tube, and a bag when bottling.

I brewed this kit as my first with standard kit yeast and 1kg brew enhancer, was decent enough but i think it is screaming out extra hops. Id have no idea how much to add mind u as ive never dry hopped. In fact ive recently bought 100gms of cascade pellets to try something simple myself.

OK I'll be the one who says chuck them all in. Dry hopping with 100g isn't really too much and Cascade is a beautiful hop.

My last brew had 150g of dry hops plus loads of late boil and whirlpool additions. It's cracking.

don't think myself that cascade is very powerful as a dry hop,not as near powerful as citra and have used cascade on a coopers English bitter recently to try and pep it up a bit,but this time as on a few other occasions I have hung it in the keg of finished beer on a length of dental floss and muslin bag and find I get more out of it this way.if youre bottling though its around 5 days in the primary just before the fermentation has died away

How much hops do you have?? You will get a variety of answers no doubt, and some people will say bung the lot in which I can understand but since this is your first one I would go on the more cautious side and stick to something like 50 grams.

Cascade is a lovely hop, you get a floral citrus flavour from it which is a bit lychee

Sorry for the delayed response..not had chance to log on recently. I have 100g but will give 50g a go. Do I leave it for 4-5 days and then barrel it?

I'm the only person on this forum who doesn't like cascade aren't I?

Cascade has its place as a floral supplement, for sure, but I like the other English hops just as much - Goldings and its many derivatives - EKG, WGV, Bobek, First Gold - also Fuggles and Progress. Bitterings- Admiral or Northern Brewer.

I feel that the American super "C-Hop" brews are very over-rated. My beers are a bit boring, but I happen to like ESB, Porter & Stout, a Pale Ale and the odd experiment.

I can get this sort of stuff from somewhere like the Worcester Hop Shop (not that I know the proprietors) and it is is adequate for my current simplistic tastes.

Latest posts

Back