Campden Now or Later? Beginner help needed

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheHL

Reaction score
Hi all. New to home brewing (other than helping my dad 40 years ago to make 5 x 56 litre demijohns of wine 3 or 4 years running).

Yesterday my friend and I collected 4 big builders buckets of apples. Underestimating the amount of time needed, today we washed, chopped, scratted and pressed 1 buckets worth. This made 1 gallon of juice. We won't be able to finish until tomorrow. My question is, should I drop the recommended amount of campden tablet in for a gallon now or put in the full amount tomorrow night when we finish.

I reckon we will end up with about 4 gallons in the end. It was a lot harder work than we thought it would be, but great fun. Was really hard trying to keep equipment sterile. Hope the end product is good. I'm sure that this is the first of many questions. Thanks.

I'd chuck a crushed one tab in now as it's being left for a while, just to prevent bacterial reproduction.

I'd chuck a crushed one tab in now as it's being left for a while, just to prevent bacterial reproduction.

Cheers for the advice. I did that last night anyway. Just spent 3 more hours with my mate chopping, scratting and pressing. Ended up with just shy of 4 gallons.

Do I take a hydrometer reading now or after the campden tablets have done their thing? I am thinking of dding the yeast on Wednesday night, today being Monday.

You can take a reading now, don't have to wait.

Thanks Tau. just took a reading. Coming in at 54. I was expecting something in the 1. range? Bit confused now. Does this seem right?

Classic schoolboy error perhaps. Is the reading 1.050? I have attached a picture.

20160920_173347.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to let you know if you decide to make more you don't have to steralise the mill/press just make sure its clean.

Just to let you know if you decide to make more you don't have to steralise the mill/press just make sure its clean.

Thanks Scott. I have thoroughly cleaned everything. I have been offered the chance to collect a lot more apples, but I think I will wait until next year now. Took two of us quite a while to make this batch and we had great fun, but we are both pressed for time.

Cider has now gone from an OG of 1.064 to 1.006 over the last week. For QC purposes tasted some and it doesn't taste rubbish. Assuming now that I leave it in plastic bucket for maybe another week and then syphon it into bottles, or do I syphon it into glass demijohns before sending to bottles later? I can look this up, just wanted the opinion of those that do this regularly. Cheers.

Back