leaving the kits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thegoatboy

Reaction score
Hello one and all!

Been an age since I've been on here.

since I started, I have made one woodferry? kit and one premium kit(can't remember which one) and a turbo cider.

as the nights are drawing in, seems like a good time to plan the next batches....

i have been thinking of going to another kit, but today I've started pondering grain.

budget and space are certainly big factors.

Are these kits worth it?

I can probably save ear ache if I'm not clogging up the stove for a few hours, so thought a kit like this http://www.thehomebrewcompany.co.uk...iler-chiller-mashing-bag-mash-kit-p-2507.html would help.

are they worth it?

is everything I need listed there?

The peco kits are fine for starting all grain, the only thing i would say to add to it is an extra element, a constant boil for an hour or more can see them quit working temporarily which can be a right pita, at least with a second element you can unplug one and switch to the other, one other upgrade is some form of temp control though they are a bit more expensive. If you decide to ever upgrade to a stainless steel type version (Braumeister, grainfather etc etc) the peco is still useful for heating your sparge water. You won't go back to extract kits after an all grain brew.

why not just do a 10 Litre AG batch?? single hop (Chinook) for instance, simple as heck! Guaranteed to knock your socks off.

Hmm there is a lot to consider.

I dont want to spend tons.

10L ag

What would be the best way to achieve that?
Large stock pot?

I am sure the output will be better than a kit, but is it worth a day for 20 pints? (I'm guessing yes?)

Hmm there is a lot to consider.

I dont want to spend tons.

10L ag

What would be the best way to achieve that?
Large stock pot?

I am sure the output will be better than a kit, but is it worth a day for 20 pints? (I'm guessing yes?)
15litre stock pot, a bag for the grain and you are on your way
with this size pot you can also do partial grain/DME brews. I strain my grains into an old 'BIRD FAT BALL" container or the brew bin + sparge
bung it all back in to the pot and do the boil with hops..works a treat.. and you can do it all in 3 hours, have breakfast, whilst the grains are steeping, listen to Steve Wright or the Archers...whatever turns you on!

I just got back to brewing last month after 20 odd years and tried a 5 litre stove top kit from geterbrewed.Used a 15 litre pot and with a few additions managed a 20 litre batch that was great to drink and so easy.Have brewed another 4 since after I picked up a 25kg bag of malt.Cheers and happy brewing.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Hello one and all!

Been an age since I've been on here.

since I started, I have made one woodferry? kit and one premium kit(can't remember which one) and a turbo cider.

as the nights are drawing in, seems like a good time to plan the next batches....

i have been thinking of going to another kit, but today I've started pondering grain.

budget and space are certainly big factors.

Are these kits worth it?

I can probably save ear ache if I'm not clogging up the stove for a few hours, so thought a kit like this http://www.thehomebrewcompany.co.uk...iler-chiller-mashing-bag-mash-kit-p-2507.html would help.

are they worth it?

is everything I need listed there?

As an alternative you could use a 15 litre stock pot, with dme and a reduced size boil say about 8 litres. with a 15 min boil. top up in fv to around 20 litre mark with chilled / near frozen bottled water.

late hop /dry hop as you like.

+1 to a small scale stove top brew to ensure the longer brewday is something you will enjoy.

Then if at all diy inclined and feel confident wiring a plug drilling holes and tightening nuts you have all the skills needed to knock up your own brewery in a weekend.
online suppliers like the copper kettle brewshop can provide all you need for a basic plastic kit build, including boiler suitable PP euro buckets. Or for a Stainless steel build there are the homebrewbuilder and angel brewing online suppliers ;)

And while many folk brew happily with the peco boiler its a little tight on volume for my preference and i would suggest a 40l vessel as a minimum volume if your looking to brew 23-25l batches.

I want an ale phone!

So any recommendations on stock pots?

And are two necessary?

Is the cooling thing needed too?

I want an ale phone!

So any recommendations on stock pots?

And are two necessary?

15 litres is an ideal minimum, wth decent handles, since you will be lifting a lot of hot water.
Cooling can be done in a sink of cold water. I freeze old drinks bottles and put them in the sink as well. However, you could just cool overnight.

Needed no, useful yes, it comes down to how quick you want to get the job done, there are quite a few videos on youtube for making your own cooling coil, or you can let it cool over time or by aiding it as Robin says.

Sorry it's annoying but that's what you get when using certain apps.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Not annoying at all, just thought it was good to have a special beer phone! Maybe we can get them to sponsor the forum.

Latest posts

Back