Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Beer Kits & Brewing Equipment Reviews. > Cwtch by Tiny Rebel Brewery

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 21-09-2016, 08:44 PM   #1
Wrongway

Liked 54 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default Cwtch by Tiny Rebel Brewery

This is my first review. Apologies if I haven't got the format right.

Cwtch is apparently Welsh for cuddle and is pronounced cutch. This beer gained the accolade of champion beer of Great Britain 2015 and was also brought out in 36 pint (20 ltr) kit form for us to brew. I was swayed by the home brew shop in Leyland to give this kit a try even though I have not bought a kit for a good few years. I was not disappointed.

The kit is marketed by Muntons and consists of two large 1.5kg cans of hopped malt extract and 4 packets of vacuum sealed hop pellets, 2 citra and 2 columbus along with 2 sachets of american ale yeast. It's very easy to make starting with pouring some boiling water on 2 of the packets of hops. The rest is fairly standard. Hopped malt and water added, yeast then pitched and finger crossed. The fermentation started quite quickly and was reasonably vigorous. After 4 days and a gravity check the other two packets of hop pellets are added. Te starting gravity was bang on at 1045. The fermentation stopped after about a week but I left it in the fermenter (fermentor for our US friends ) for another week before racking into a secondary fermenter. This isnt required but I wanted to clear it well so I could put it into a Corny keg and force carbonate it. Anyway it went in the keg reasonably clear a couple of days ago and tonight I had a quick taste. It's obviously not ready yet but curiosity had got the better of me. Well it's nice hoppy red ale and tasted really nice. It honestly didn't taste like a kit beer to me. Very pleased indeed with it. I'll report back further down the line when it matured a little.

Cwtch Kit
Instructions
People Like This 
Old 21-09-2016, 09:04 PM   #2
stpete

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Bottled my Cwtch on sunday night, was tasty then, I have high hopes. Mine was quite cloudy, hope it'll clear as it primes. I tried a bottle that was sent to LHBS and mine is pretty similar. Only issue I had was my fermenter cant take boiling water so had to put a litre of cold in first then hops then boiling, seemed to work. well the smell was lush. Glad you agree its a kit worth brewing Wrongway!
Wrongway Likes This 
Old 21-09-2016, 09:13 PM   #3
Wrongway

I was lucky as I was using a stainless steel fermenter so no problem with the boiling water. I must admit I tried to get the bottle the LBHS had as a freebie but no chance. I would love to taste the commercial version in a pub as a comparison, but I think it's only sold locally in Wales. I agree though about the smell, fantastic.

Old 22-09-2016, 07:39 AM   #4
howyoubrewin

Liked 44 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I am going to the Ayrshire real ale festival in Troon in a couple of weeks time and I see that Cwtch is on the list of beers for the event. Would you recommend I stick it on my list of beers to try?
Old 22-09-2016, 08:19 AM   #5
Wrongway

Certainly.I have been to a few beer festivals recently and looked out for Cwtch but it's not been featured at any of them so far.

Old 22-09-2016, 08:46 AM   #6
IainM

Liked 798 Times on 559 Posts
Likes Given: 370

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrongway View Post
I was lucky as I was using a stainless steel fermenter so no problem with the boiling water. I must admit I tried to get the bottle the LBHS had as a freebie but no chance. I would love to taste the commercial version in a pub as a comparison, but I think it's only sold locally in Wales. I agree though about the smell, fantastic.
I've had it on draft in London, at the Craft Beer Co. Covent Garden, if you get an excuse to head to the big smog. Great bar actually, 40 taps and not too expensive. I don't think I've ever ordered a Russian Imperial Stout on tap, only to be asked which one.
Conditioning: BBNo1:1 Citra saison, Chevallier bitter, Blackberry wine, Elderberry wine, Plum wine
Drinking: Cwtch, Bures Gold, Perry, Cider, Gales Festival Mild (GW clone), RIS, Winebuddy Merlot, Mead, Cyser, Melomel
Previous good'uns: RyeIPA, NEDIPA, Bitter (HBF comp 2nd place), Perry from scratch, Hobgob clone, DIYDog Dogma, Mild, BIPA x 3, ginger beer
People Like This 
Old 22-09-2016, 09:16 PM   #7
zippy40

Liked 72 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 455

great review. I have just started brewing my batch tonight. Agree totally with the smell - beautiful hoppy aroma!

It was a little pricey for me as a kit but it was recommended by my homebrew shop so I gave it a go - hope it turns out well
Wrongway Likes This 
Old 23-09-2016, 04:44 PM   #8
stpete

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 19

It is available in bottles in many good bottle shops or online.
People Like This 
Old 23-09-2016, 11:56 PM   #9
3ishop

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoubrewin View Post
I am going to the Ayrshire real ale festival in Troon in a couple of weeks time and I see that Cwtch is on the list of beers for the event. Would you recommend I stick it on my list of beers to try?
YES! Although check the % before you do. Tiny Rebel had a launch event in one of my fave bars in Wales last year and being friends with the staff they suggested we try it, we enjoyed the free sample so had a pint, loved it got up to get the next round to find legs wobbly...it was a 10% beer! Didn't feel it though
zippy40 Likes This 
Old 24-09-2016, 06:59 AM   #10
darrellm

Liked 475 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy40 View Post
It was a little pricey for me as a kit
Seen a few comments on here about pricey kits, which I don't quite understand. A 1-can kit needs extra fermentables added to it which takes the price to near 20 quid, these 2-can kits are 3 quid more, thats 7.5p a pint more - do people really make a kit choice based on that?
People Like This