Bottling from keg

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wbh1138

Reaction score
Hi

I put my beer into kegs but occasionally want to give some out to friends to try.
I've acquired some glass flip-top 500ml bottles.
My question is should I add anything such as sugar to the bottle and, if so, how much?

Thanks in advance.
Happy brewing

As you draw beer from your pressure keg it reverts back to atmospheric pressure and this means any dissolved CO2 leaves solution until it reaches equilibrium with the outside world, so you must effectively reprime again.
I would suggest using one half level teaspoon of table sugar to your 500ml bottles.

Easiest (and most expensive) solution is purchase a counter pressure filler which is attached to your gas supply and beer delivery pipework, although this is probably over the top for just an occasional bottle.

How about chilling the keg down as much as you can, and upping the keg co2 pressure for a few days. Then reduce the pressure to a low serving pressure, and introduce into the chilled bottles with a tube with a tap? This should ensure it is sufficiently carbed when it returns to normal serving temperature.

Another very effective compromise (the compromise is the aesthetics), is the use of the following:

image-M.jpg

This requires you to use a plastic bottle, but is fully carbed up (without yeast deposit) as long as you chill the beer down as much as possible before carrying out the bottle filling, as you lose some pressure when you remove this fitting and fit the normal cap.

All the above is assuming that when you say 'keg' you are talking about a metal pressure keg (eg Cornelius keg), and not something like a King Keg, which might prove more difficult from the connections point of view.

if using a pb attach some clean sanitised tube to the tap that will reach the bottom of the bottles, and when u fill drop the bottle to keep the tube as close to the liquid top and stop when foam flows out the neck and the botle is full enough. cap and drink that night.

if you want to keep bottled longer add a small priming charge to the bottle first.1/2 to 1 level teaspoon of sugar perhaps, the beer will need a week or two @ room temp to recondition before chilling to serve..

filling from the bottom ensures escaping co2 blankets the beer as the bottle fills and expells all air with foam to avoid oxidisation..

if kegging with cornies etc look into the pegas bottle filling taps, not cheap but give you the ability to simply bottle bright beer with a 3 week+ shelf life (longer with brewers bottle cleaning/sanitation ). swing tops however are incompatible with the pegas taps, they are designed to work with pet bottles standard glass can also be used with a cut washer shim bodge ;)

Hi!
There are several YouTube vids showing how to use a tyre valve and an air chuck to make a PET bottle into a carbonating system. Chill the beer in the bottle until it's very cold then add gas and shake. Add more gas and shake again etc until the beer is carbed up. The only disadvantage is having to keep the beer in the bottle with the carbonation cap - you may not get it back if you give it to mates!

Back