Syphoning solutions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thehorse

Reaction score
I'm on to my second auto-syphon in a year. Both have worked fine for a couple of uses, and now don't seem to get the beer up high enough to start syphoning. My last two brews, I've had to suck the tube to get the syphon going, or once it's light enough to lift, pour it into the fermenter through a sieve. None of these are especially good solutions are they? You get hop matter in the tube without an AS, run the risk of infections, and splash your beer around too much if jugging. Are there any other alternatives - an auto-syphon that works, basically?

I like your thinking and I need a new FV anyway, but is not the point to get the fermented wort off the yeast? I would have thought that a tap at the bottom would get clogged or allow through a lot of uneccessarily my hop and yeast matter.

I like your thinking and I need a new FV anyway, but is not the point to get the fermented wort off the yeast? I would have thought that a tap at the bottom would get clogged or allow through a lot of uneccessarily my hop and yeast matter.

That depends on how high up the tap it, how much debris you have at the bottom, and how flocculant the yeast is.

The tap is above the trub, not by a lot but enough not to drag a load of it through.

I notice a lot of people have issues with the auto syphons.. Maybe they are susceptible to not working properly?? touch wood mine has worked flawlessly so far

I think that the problem comes once you clean them and the circular seal comes off the bottom. Try as you might, after that it seems impossible to get enough of a vacuum to draw up the liquid.

I've had mine for some time now and yes, had issues from the start and was going to chuck it against the wall but I got it fixed.
First, when the level got below the inner tube, it started sucking air through it. Another member on the forum said to put a tad bit of beer down the tube and it worked. But another problem was the outer tube was much longer than the inner tube so the space was a lot off. I just hacked off the top part to the right length.
For the seal, recently I have been using keg lube around the seal when I use it. Seems to work and keep things smooth. I don't know if that helps but give it a shot.

I will, though I've never heard of keg seal. Would you be putting it on the outside to bulk it out or inside to stick it t better to the inner tube?

Buy a tap off ebay. Drill a hole in your fv just an inch up from the bottom. Job jobbed. If you live close to Tunbridge Wells i'll do it for you.

Nick

I think I cursed myself.. I used my auto syphon today, worked fine .. but when I went out to clean it I noticed the trap at the bottom was missing.. and It had indeed sucked up more trub into the bottling bucket.. I think I knocked it off into the trub.. but I only realised this after I poured all the trub down the toilet and flushed it :lol::doh:

Latest posts

Back