After a recommendation please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrPips

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm going away for a weekend just before Christmas to the lakes with some pals walking and drinking etc. I've been tasked with brewing a beer for the trip as last year our bar bill came to nearly £300 between 3 of us.

We all like fairly pale summery session beers, not too strong. Something like Castle Rocks Harvest Pale.

Can anyone recommend a kit that would fit the bill? It will only be my third after success with a wherry and wilco Pilsner.

Thanks,

Dom

Well, if you're near a Wilko then try Woodforde's Sundew. £20 for a 3kg kit. I've just brewed a couple of these - I normally do all-grain but a move of house has made me try things I normally wouldn't.
I haven't tried the beer "as it comes", because I really like very hoppy beers - so I've added a hop tea for flavour, and a lot of dry hops for aroma. I have to say that the result is excellent - and a lot easier than mashing grain (also a lot more expensive!!). Oh, and I don't use the kit yeast. I'm sure it would produce a good product, but I'm prejudiced against dried yeast.

I'd recommend any of the Festival range of kits. The Summer Glory and Razorback IPA are both very good. Otherwise, a Coopers Australian Pale Ale is a good base for dry hopping. I added Amarillo hops to it last year and it was a lovely pint.

Back