Final Gravity vs Matured Bottled Drinking Gravity

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockuronium

Reaction score
I've bottled a Brewferm Christmas beer kit as per instruction, OG 1065 the FG 1020 this gives an ABV 5.9%. The kit states ABV 7.5%. I know it will still ferment in the bottle giving a higher reading but how do you work this out? Surely the CO2 will give false readings if taken from a drinkable measure. Any advice would be welcomed.:pray:

I've bottled a Brewferm Christmas beer kit as per instruction, OG 1065 the FG 1020 this gives an ABV 5.9%. The kit states ABV 7.5%. I know it will still ferment in the bottle giving a higher reading but how do you work this out? Surely the CO2 will give false readings if taken from a drinkable measure. Any advice would be welcomed.:pray:

yes you'd need to de-fizz the sample and measure any further drop. Most use a figure of an additional .2% abv as a rule of thumb.

you of course measure og then fg - but if using a bottling bucket you'd most likely mix the priming sugar with a little water first, that would be your new OG

then de-fizz some from the bottle and measure your new FG. Add the 2 abv calcs together ta-da.

I keep promising to do that some day to confirm the .2%abv or not but just can't bring myself to part with 70ml or so of my ready to drink brew :lol:

Yeh - fg of 1020 is a sure sign of a stalled fermentation. There's been lots of posts on the forum about this, lots of cures - rousing the yeast by stirring, warming it up, adding a bit of sugar to kickstart it, adding amylase to break down complex sugars to something fermentable. Seems to be mostly a problem with 2 can kits in my experience.

apologies, missed out the bit about 2020 og.

I did a brewferm abdij and struggled to get it down to 1014. so you have a few more points to go. which would give you 6.7%

have you kept the bottles in a warm place for 2 weeks yet?

The recommended FG for Brewferm Christmas Beer is 1020, no sugar is required at any point during fermenting or priming bottles. It took 3 days to reach FG and has been sat at this for a further 4 days. My initial concern was bottle bombs :electric:. I'll take dad_of_jon advice and take another reading from a bottle when ready.

Unusual but it will carb up (slowly but surely), especially as it's not going to be drunk until Xmas

It should do but not necessarily, I have a wee heavy which stopped at 1.020 and never carbed up even with priming sugar and adding fresh yeast at bottling. It's been in the bottle over a year and it's still flat as a millpond :confused:

The recommended FG for Brewferm Christmas Beer is 1020, no sugar is required at any point during fermenting or priming bottles. It took 3 days to reach FG and has been sat at this for a further 4 days. My initial concern was bottle bombs :electric:. I'll take dad_of_jon advice and take another reading from a bottle when ready.

I have 6 bottle of abdij left from brewing dec 2014. Your beer will get better with age.

Sometimes dark beers go through a licorice phase (which i'm not to keen on) but then come out the other side even more complex.

I got a Brewferm Xmas Ale from Secret Santa last year and kicked it off on 19 January 2016. It went down to 1018 before bottling on 13 Feb. It ended up in 12 swing top bottles that were also a present, albeit not from a mythological sky fairy.

About a month ago or so, I opened another "trial" bottle and it shot out the bottle like some sort of laval eruption. On that basis, I decided to re-bottle and just dropped the contents of the remaining 8 bottles into an FV, gave the bottles a rinse and a spray of Star San and poured the de-gassed beer back into the bottles using a jug and a funnel. By this stage the SG was around 1010 - so one full percentage ABV point higher - well, assuming that the information from a "guess at 1018" minus a "guess at 1010" gives you something in the ball-park of helpful.

As an indicator, at the time of re-bottling each 500ml bottle of fizzy Xmas Ale filled a 2L jug almost to the point of spilling over, but not quite.

As an aside, there is nothing wrong with the yeast that comes with this kit. I re-used it 2 or 3 times to make very passable kit beers from one can kits plus spray malt / hops.

I was not really a big fan of very strong beers before this experiment and am not dissuaded on the basis of it.

Part of me really want to do a "big" beer like a Russian Imperial Stout or a Barley Wine, but is it a good idea?

I got a Brewferm Xmas Ale from Secret Santa last year and kicked it off on 19 January 2016. It went down to 1018 before bottling on 13 Feb. It ended up in 12 swing top bottles that were also a present, albeit not from a mythological sky fairy.

About a month ago or so, I opened another "trial" bottle and it shot out the bottle like some sort of laval eruption. On that basis, I decided to re-bottle and just dropped the contents of the remaining 8 bottles into an FV, gave the bottles a rinse and a spray of Star San and poured the de-gassed beer back into the bottles using a jug and a funnel. By this stage the SG was around 1010 - so one full percentage ABV point higher - well, assuming that the information from a "guess at 1018" minus a "guess at 1010" gives you something in the ball-park of helpful.

As an indicator, at the time of re-bottling each 500ml bottle of fizzy Xmas Ale filled a 2L jug almost to the point of spilling over, but not quite.

As an aside, there is nothing wrong with the yeast that comes with this kit. I re-used it 2 or 3 times to make very passable kit beers from one can kits plus spray malt / hops.

I was not really a big fan of very strong beers before this experiment and am not dissuaded on the basis of it.

Part of me really want to do a "big" beer like a Russian Imperial Stout or a Barley Wine, but is it a good idea?
I did virtually the same when my mini-kegs exploded, containing my Christmas brew. Transferred to bottles but no carbing sugars.:thumb:

Latest posts

Back