Keep missing SG by a way

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wabby

Regular.
Reaction score
Keep missing my SG by a margin (not very large normally, but missed nevertheless).

I did a SMaSH on Friday and target OG was 1.065. I hit 1.046. BIG difference.

Anybody any ideas what I am doing wrong?

I heated water to the right temp, stirred properly, let mash for duration, batch sparked etc.

Doing my head in as to why I am missing the SG by such a way on this one??

There could be many reasons, there are a lot of variables when it comes to efficiency.
Can you tell us more about your process and technique?

I had a similar issue a few things that I changed that saw me have better results.
Stir the mash for at least 5 minutes when you dough in, also dough in smaller amounts and stir as you go.
Stir the mash halfway through.
Ensure that whatever you are using as a measurement gauge is accurate. FV are notorious for not reading the correct volumes.
There are lots of different things that can effect efficency.

The biggest thing I've found that affects efficiency of the mash is the freshness of the ingredients. I buy pale malt in 25kg bags - to begin with I was buying crushed pale malt - different bags I bought had widely different efficiencies, but with a single bag the first couple of brews had quite good efficiency but by the last one it had plummetted. Crushed malts go stale really quickly and going stale means the quantity of enzymes in the malt declines.
Then I accidently ordered whole grains instead of crushed, so I had to buy a grain mill to use it. The difference was amazing. I'll never be going back to crushed pale malt. To get the same OG I'm now using about 7Lbs of malt whereas with the crushed I was using at least 9.

Like some are saying.
But one are that effects it is sparging. How much you use and when to stop. Are you taking readings while your sparging?

The biggest thing I've found that affects efficiency of the mash is the freshness of the ingredients. I buy pale malt in 25kg bags - to begin with I was buying crushed pale malt - different bags I bought had widely different efficiencies, but with a single bag the first couple of brews had quite good efficiency but by the last one it had plummetted. Crushed malts go stale really quickly and going stale means the quantity of enzymes in the malt declines.
Then I accidently ordered whole grains instead of crushed, so I had to buy a grain mill to use it. The difference was amazing. I'll never be going back to crushed pale malt. To get the same OG I'm now using about 7Lbs of malt whereas with the crushed I was using at least 9.

I couldn't agree more with this.
When I started crushing my own malt my efficiency leapt up 10%

Have you tested your mash pH? I started using a little AMS/CRS to adjust my mash pH to the "perfect" 5.4 and efficiency improved.

But as others have said, so many variables. I found the best way was to work out the efficiency of your brew technique then plug that into the recipe software, as the default settings or those quoted in some recipes are way too high for the average home brewer.

Have you worked out what mash efficiency you're getting? I get around 68% BIAB with 3 stirs and a dunk sparge.

It's more important to have a fairly consistent efficiency rather than a high efficiency, because that way you can adjust your recipe to suit. Grain is so cheap it's not a big deal to throw an extra few hundred grams in if needed.

That being said you had a big difference there, what was your actual BHE?

So why is it important to hit the sg? Does it taste different? Stronger...weaker?
Is it a different beer?
Or is it the strength?
I understand that to know how stong your beer is .you need a before and after, but how much difference does it make and why?

So why is it important to hit the sg? Does it taste different? Stronger...weaker?
Is it a different beer?
Or is it the strength?
I understand that to know how stong your beer is .you need a before and after, but how much difference does it make and why?

It can have a big impact of the flavour of the beer, especially 19 points like the op. It will effect the balance, the IBUs will be higher, the malt flavour diminished, less alcohol, a lower fg which will effect the mouthfeel and perception of sweetness.

It can have a big impact of the flavour of the beer, especially 19 points like the op. It will effect the balance, the IBUs will be higher, the malt flavour diminished, less alcohol, a lower fg which will effect the mouthfeel and perception of sweetness.

Yep. Let me add some super, life changing items.... nope. Too drunk off beer that's not worth the can it was canned in.

I know I am late I would also chime in to support milling your own grain.. My first few had poor efficiency.. after I got my mill the numbers were much better

Keep missing my SG by a margin (not very large normally, but missed nevertheless).

I did a SMaSH on Friday and target OG was 1.065. I hit 1.046. BIG difference.

Anybody any ideas what I am doing wrong?

I heated water to the right temp, stirred properly, let mash for duration, batch sparked etc.

Doing my head in as to why I am missing the SG by such a way on this one??

As was previously mentioned, I think you need to give more information on your process, if you want to get anything other than a stab in the dark answer to your question.

You say you heated the water to the right temperature. Was that the mash temperature, or the temperature that it needed to be so that you would hit your mash temperature when the grain was added?
Did you stir during the mash?
Is the mash tun insulated?
What temperature was your mash at mash out?

There are so many parameters that can affect efficiency, but I am confident if you described your process in detail, you would have a great chance of getting the right answer, or answers, to your problem.

As was previously mentioned, I think you need to give more information on your process, if you want to get anything other than a stab in the dark answer to your question.

You say you heated the water to the right temperature. Was that the mash temperature, or the temperature that it needed to be so that you would hit your mash temperature when the grain was added?
Did you stir during the mash?
Is the mash tun insulated?
What temperature was your mash at mash out?

There are so many parameters that can affect efficiency, but I am confident if you described your process in detail, you would have a great chance of getting the right answer, or answers, to your problem.

Cheers.

I pre-heat my mash tun with 10lt boiling water, whilst waiting for my mash water to heat.
Then I drain, add the amount of water in beer smith (plus small amount for dead space) and then I add the grain slowly whilst stirring. I measure the temp of the water on the way in to the mash tun with an instant read thermometer (Cant remember the brand but its awesome. I use it on my smoker. Cost about £30).
Then I check the temp of the mash and if too high, stir to cool. If too low, add a small amount of hot water to match (although, normally I am within .2c).
I do not stir during my 60 or 90 minute mashes. <-- Is this where I am going wrong?

I then batch sparge so ... I vorlof (lol) and then drain into boiler. Once drained, I add the next step of water, matching temps as before. Stir thoroughly and then leave for 10 minutes.

Vorlof and drain again. sometimes the recipe calls for more than one of these.

Then I add first wort hops, bring to the boil and carry on ....

Anything look untoward in that up their? ^^

Only thing I can think is that the milled grain for this second one (that I missed OG by almost .20) had been sat in my Garage for 3 weeks. BUT it was in a vac sealed packaged ??

Just to mention the maltmiller will supply 25kg crushed base malts (marris otter etc.) in 5 x 5kg sealed bags, think its £2 extra on the price for the seperate bagging.

Helps ensure your 25kg purchase of crushed base malt is fresh when used even if stored for a while.

Just gone into BrewSmith and realised that I didnt have MY equipment profile set ... it had the default.

Difference on a standard brew is 5.8% with their 'default' vs 4.8% with my actual equipment.

Looks like I need to CHECK my calculations. lol.

Cheers guys. I would never have looked that deep without your replies :)

We also need temps. Those are the most important things. Even 5 degrees off and you'll mess up your beer.

Just to mention the maltmiller will supply 25g crushed base malts (marris otter etc.) in 5 x 5kg sealed bags, think its �£2 extra on the price for the seperate bagging.

Helps ensure your 25kg purchase of crushed base malt is fresh when used even if stored for a while.

I've started buying my base malt in 1kg bags to try and keep it fresher, worth the extra couple of quid IMO.

Is it a different beer?
Or is it the strength?

The reason for knowing why is that this is how you know the process is under control. yes you can make beer but can you repeat that time after time . Once you know, understand and have control of every aspect of the process then it is much easier to spot when something has been missed out or a step not performed properly.

Without being concerned about the sg being low then Wabby would not have bothered going back to check his calculations.

Latest posts

Back