Trying out Manderina hops and Amber Malt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
114th brew Amber Red (named after my daughter not the colour of the beer!) OG. 24/09/16 Using Manderina Baveria hops and Northern Brewer as the bittering hop. This beer is also the first using Amber Malt which is really biscuity and bready when eaten raw. Trying for a lower percentage beer here so less grain in mash. 4kg of Golden promise, 400g of Carapils and 300g of Amber Malt. Hops will be 36g of Northern brewer at start of boil, then 25g of Manderina at 15m, 20g at 5 minutes and then 40g at flameout. I may dry hop this with both Northern brewer and Manderina. Using US 05 as the yeast. Protofloc at 15mins.

I've used a similar quantity of amber malt in a beer before. It gives a strong toasted malt flavour which I found overwhelmed the hops. It was very nice but definitely a more malt forward beer than I was aiming for.

I did use a very traditional English ale yeast strain which probably emphasised the malt character. US-05 might be a bit more balanced.

I've not tried this hop yet but I hear it's good.

I've used a similar quantity of amber malt in a beer before. It gives a strong toasted malt flavour which I found overwhelmed the hops. It was very nice but definitely a more malt forward beer than I was aiming for.

I did use a very traditional English ale yeast strain which probably emphasised the malt character. US-05 might be a bit more balanced.

I've not tried this hop yet but I hear it's good.

Thanks for the insight on the malt. I am going for an orange buscuit taste and I hope I don't just get a digestive! If this is too malty I will try again later with less malt until I reach a balance.

Thanks for the insight on the malt. I am going for an orange buscuit taste and I hope I don't just get a digestive! If this is too malty I will try again later with less malt until I reach a balance.
Was looking at those hops last night when ordering items from Geterbrewed, opted not to get them, let us know how this turns out please:thumb:

Back