windows 10 update.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My PC said i needed to restart it earlier and an hour later it is still updating, I have done a bit of searching and apparently it's the anniversary update and numerous people are not happy with the changes, has anyone here already got it and if so what do you think.

My PC said i needed to restart it earlier and an hour later it is still updating, I have done a bit of searching and apparently it's the anniversary update and numerous people are not happy with the changes, has anyone here already got it and if so what do you think.
Its had a panning in the press.
Im not going to be drawn into a PC/MAC argument:nono:

Its finally working and so far i cannot tell the difference apart from the notification icon has moved to the right.

So far the icons are a bit different, can't tell if there are performance differences, but I have a gaming PC, so it can absorb any extra RAM, graphics, processor etc. requirements better than most standard laptops.

I am on a fairly basic desktop and so far i haven't noticed any slow down.

The memory management in windows 10 is pretty good so runs ok on basic hardware.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

My update took ages to download and install itself on my laptop.
Otherwise there are a few small cosmetic changes which I could probably do without but otherwise its exactly the same as before as far as I can tell.
It's still better than W7 which I had before.

I bought a new PC partly to get rid of it and go back to Windows 7.
You can revert back, but they only give you a limited time to do this. I didn't realise and left it too late.

I had downloaded the free update but didn't actually go ahead with the installation. Then one day I turned on the computer and it had updated. Either my wife accidentally did the update (unlikely) or it installed itself, which I think I've read somewhere can happen if you've done the download.

Linux is awesome, the latest Distros are amazing, Mint, Ubuntu are running on various PCS around the home, but stick to Windows if you game at all, Linux is pretty terrible for gaming unless you want to go balls deep into Wine and specific games...

More specifically stick to Windows 7 if you value your privacy in any way at all. Winblows 10 isn't nicknamed Windows 8.2 NSA edition for nothing...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Linux is pretty terrible for gaming unless you want to go balls deep into Wine and specific games...<br />
<br />
<br />

That conjures bad images to mind, 'balls deep into wine', not good to mention on a homebreww forum :lol:

Wine is an emulator program for windows in linux os's.

You have just reminded me i put linux on an windows XP laptop just to try it, i was impressed but i don't think i could use it all the time even though i don't game, for me its like browsers i have tried Firefox, Edge, IE and Opera but always seem to eventually come back to chrome, i guess it just works and i am used to it.

Chrome is a linux distro. Installed Ubuntu for the parents a few years back as windows kept crashing and they were constaintly on the phone - they never have problems with Ubuntu.

Chromium is the Linux version of chrome

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Chromium is the Linux version of chrome

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
Yip chrome os, all shinny and bloated :-( ou would think that a company the size of Google could employ a couple of slim programmers. Could have been a great product but bulked it out so much I don't get why, except for bad programming, like microsoft used to do.

Linux is awesome, the latest Distros are amazing, Mint, Ubuntu are running on various PCS around the home, but stick to Windows if you game at all, Linux is pretty terrible for gaming unless you want to go balls deep into Wine and specific games...

More specifically stick to Windows 7 if you value your privacy in any way at all. Winblows 10 isn't nicknamed Windows 8.2 NSA edition for nothing...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Steam. Admittedly not great
http://store.steampowered.com/search/?snr=1_4_4__12&term=linux

Fedora Linux user since
April 2004
http://store.steampowered.com/search/?snr=1_4_4__12&term=linux

Wine Is Not an Emulator
Wow! So many Linux enthusiasts here. This would be a very obscure acronym to most folks, I believe!
A bit of a stroll away from the OP maybe.
But, my wee contribution is this.
Linux is no longer an operating systems for freaks, geeks and the desperately poor. Anyone who liked Windows 7 has got to prefer, say, Linux Mint to Windows 10. Or, LibreOffice as opposed to Microsoft Office (LibreOffice installs automatically, totally for free, with Linux). For me, they just work the way you expect, no obscure surprises. :thumb::thumb:

Latest posts

Back