HBC Full Extract Extra Irish Stout High FG?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davemorton

Reaction score
Afternoon.
I m busy with my first extract kit. A HBC Full Extract Extra Irish Stout. OG was 1056, it has been in the brew fridge (again, first time using this, so another unknown for me) for one week at 19, and 2 weeks at 20.5C. I then chilled it to 5C ready to bottle, but have just taken a reading and it is still at 1024.
I have never brewed a stout before, and to be fair, it tastes lovely, but is the FG too high to be bottling?
Many thanks.

Yes, it is too high to bottle.

But is it correct? I don't believe that it can be, given what you say about the fermenting temps and times. Are you sure they are genuine? 1024 is far too high for fermentation to stall at what you post as temps and times.

Have you de-gassed your hydrometer sample?

Or left the hydrometer in the sample until enough CO2 bubbles have formed to lift it right up to the extent that you get a totally false reading?

Yes, it is too high to bottle.

But is it correct? I don't believe that it can be, given what you say about the fermenting temps and times. Are you sure they are genuine? 1024 is far too high for fermentation to stall at what you post as temps and times.

Have you de-gassed your hydrometer sample?

Or left the hydrometer in the sample until enough CO2 bubbles have formed to lift it right up to the extent that you get a totally false reading?

The sample didnt seem gassy at all, although I may be mistaken. I will take a new sample in the morning and shake it about then try it. Thanks for the reply. :thumb:

The sample didnt seem gassy at all, although I may be mistaken. I will take a new sample in the morning and shake it about then try it. Thanks for the reply. :thumb:

How is it looking, BTW?

I asked these questions because, for instance, the beer I bottled yesterday was a bit fizzy and looked at first glance like 1010 FG. A bit later it looked like 1020. After de-gassing the sample and waiting for the bubbles to go down, it was about 1005. As it tasted like a 1005 beer, i am happy with that.

Nope, still the same. It does not seem gassy at all. I have turned the fridge back up to 21C, gave it a little wobble to hopefully awaken the yeastys, and I am going to keep an eye on it this week. Heres fingers crossed!

Well I have left it another week at 21c, after giving it a very gentle swirl, but still 24. I have totally de-gassed the sample (jug to jug, and whisk), tested my hydrometer, so what now? Do I pitch some more yeast, or just go ahead and bottle. I did add some candied sugar to the boil, would that have made any difference? Advice please gents (and ladies).

Well I have left it another week at 21c, after giving it a very gentle swirl, but still 24. I have totally de-gassed the sample (jug to jug, and whisk), tested my hydrometer, so what now? Do I pitch some more yeast, or just go ahead and bottle. I did add some candied sugar to the boil, would that have made any difference? Advice please gents (and ladies).

Sugar is sugar from a chemical standpoint. So that is a red herring.

Sucrose is 100% fermentable, so unless you added enough to kill the yeast, I have little idea what might be wrong. Unless the recipe had a huge amount of unfermentable lactose in it, seems very strange.

No lactose in at all. Im mystified. Is Riches Yeast&nutrients okay to add, or would I be best off ordering another stout yeast and try to get it going again?

Once a brew is stuck, it's hard to get it going again - some succeed but many fail. It's often hard to determine why they stick.

Looking at your example, it uses liquid malt extract which is fully fermentable so it should finish around 1010. It also comes with a full 11g packet of quality yeast. I'd done two of these HBC full extract kits and both have finished at 1010, so I'm a bit stumped.

You could add some yeast nutrient but that's best added at the start, the problem you have is that most of the fermentables have been eaten up so any extra yeast is going to struggle. Dissolve 100-200g brewing sugar in a little boiled water and mix it in, give it a good stir not a gentle stir: still don't know why people recommend a "gentle" stir, you need to get the yeast that has dropped out back into the beer. And warm it up to 23/24C - you wouldn't do this at the start of a brew but at this stage in the ferment it's fine. This has worked for me in the past, good luck.

Once a brew is stuck, it's hard to get it going again - some succeed but many fail. It's often hard to determine why they stick.

Looking at your example, it uses liquid malt extract which is fully fermentable so it should finish around 1010. It also comes with a full 11g packet of quality yeast. I'd done two of these HBC full extract kits and both have finished at 1010, so I'm a bit stumped.

You could add some yeast nutrient but that's best added at the start, the problem you have is that most of the fermentables have been eaten up so any extra yeast is going to struggle. Dissolve 100-200g brewing sugar in a little boiled water and mix it in, give it a good stir not a gentle stir: still don't know why people recommend a "gentle" stir, you need to get the yeast that has dropped out back into the beer. And warm it up to 23/24C - you wouldn't do this at the start of a brew but at this stage in the ferment it's fine. This has worked for me in the past, good luck.

Gave this a try, still no change, so going to hydrate some riches yeast and nutrients I have in, and add that, nothing to loose now really as don't fancy bottling it at 10.24.

Back