Kesar Mango Wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madSimonJ

Reaction score
I've just about finished a batch of wine made from a tin of Kesar Mango Pulp, which you can buy in most supermarkets around where I live.

The process was as follows:

Day One
----------

Boiled 2 litres of water along with a tin of kesar mango pulp. Mix in 500g of granulated sugar

Prepared a sachet of Wilko's Wine yeast in a bowl of warm water with a little sugar for half an hour or so.

Poured it, the mango & a teaspoon of pectolase all into a demijohn and sealed.

Day Twelve
--------------

Bubbling had completely stopped, so I moved the wine to a new demijohn with a crushed camden tablet & topped up with water

Day Thirteen
---------------

added 1/2tsp of Young's Stabilizing Powder and 1/2 tsp of Kwik Clear A, resealed & shook vigorously for some time.

After half an hour, I added half a teaspoon of Kwik Clear B and shook some more.

I'm waiting for it to clear now. It seems to be doing it pretty fast at the moment. The plan is to add back some Mango pulp once it's clear, as a sweetener.

This looks nice, pity only 8-9% abv so wont keep very long, noticed that £1 a tin (850g) tescos worth a try sometime. Let us know what it tastes like.

This looks nice, pity only 8-9% abv so wont keep very long, noticed that �£1 a tin (850g) tescos worth a try sometime. Let us know what it tastes like.

how do you know it's only 8-9%?

I've just about finished a batch of wine made from a tin of Kesar Mango Pulp, which you can buy in most supermarkets around where I live.

The process was as follows:

Day One
----------

Boiled 2 litres of water along with a tin of kesar mango pulp. Mix in 500g of granulated sugar

Prepared a sachet of Wilko's Wine yeast in a bowl of warm water with a little sugar for half an hour or so.

Poured it, the mango & a teaspoon of pectolase all into a demijohn and sealed.

Day Twelve
--------------

Bubbling had completely stopped, so I moved the wine to a new demijohn with a crushed camden tablet & topped up with water

Day Thirteen
---------------

added 1/2tsp of Young's Stabilizing Powder and 1/2 tsp of Kwik Clear A, resealed & shook vigorously for some time.

After half an hour, I added half a teaspoon of Kwik Clear B and shook some more.

I'm waiting for it to clear now. It seems to be doing it pretty fast at the moment. The plan is to add back some Mango pulp once it's clear, as a sweetener.

How sweet did this turn out + are you going to put in it wine bottles or cap it ?

What was start/final gravity readings as well ?

Calculated by usages in the mango pulp tin and by the sugar added

There is a calculator tab on the second row of tabs from the top :)

As personal says. It was the 500g that made me look up the sugar content of the Kesar that only had around 160g of sugar per tin.

The plan is to add back some Mango pulp once it's clear, as a sweetener.

you risk starting fermentation up again by doing this as you will be adding more sugar to the solution !!!

if it comes out dry then try adding some non-fermentable sugar such as lactose or a sweetener - basically something that the beasties cant chow down on - i know you said you added a campden tablet but that doesnt guarantee that it will kill off the yeast - possibly just stunt it - in future just wait abit longer for the fermentation to finish - normally 2-3weeks in the primary fermenter :) that time also allows for off flavours to be tidy'd up by the yeast :)

How is this going? Bought a few tins of Mango pulp from tescos at the moment for a £1 each. Can you still taste the 1st tin of mango after ferment?

How is this going? Bought a few tins of Mango pulp from tescos at the moment for a �£1 each. Can you still taste the 1st tin of mango after ferment?

hes not been online in a while so think ill just get this started in the next couple days -wish me luck

Sorry I've been away. I've got 2 little kids, time is something I only get occasionally!

I'll be honest, my wine turned out undrinkable. It had pretty much no flavour.

I've tried again, this time with 4 cans of pulp! I'm starting to think it might be too thick now! I'll give it a few days and see what happens...

I added 500g of sugar, as well as the usual yeast starter & pectolase.

2016-10-09%2018.20.42.jpg~original

Sorry I've been away. I've got 2 little kids, time is something I only get occasionally!

I'll be honest, my wine turned out undrinkable. It had pretty much no flavour.

I've tried again, this time with 4 cans of pulp! I'm starting to think it might be too thick now! I'll give it a few days and see what happens...

I added 500g of sugar, as well as the usual yeast starter & pectolase.

2016-10-09%2018.20.42.jpg~original

Time is a luxury - I understand :)

What was the taste like btw with 1 tin ?

I ask as was thinking of boiling the mango with water so I had 2 litres of that mix going into the demijohn with 1 litre of apple juice with 1 kg of sugar getting dissolved into the mango mix , add yeast and then after 5 days add another litre of apple juice and then top up to the shoulder with water a few days later- give it 2-3 weeks to brew and then rack off and bottle

I will be using a champagne yeast so it will power through all the sugar and leave it a little dry i should think

Time is a luxury - I understand :)

What was the taste like btw with 1 tin ?

I ask as was thinking of boiling the mango with water so I had 2 litres of that mix going into the demijohn with 1 litre of apple juice with 1 kg of sugar getting dissolved into the mango mix , add yeast and then after 5 days add another litre of apple juice and then top up to the shoulder with water a few days later- give it 2-3 weeks to brew and then rack off and bottle

I will be using a champagne yeast so it will power through all the sugar and leave it a little dry i should think

Like slightly alcoholic water :( No real taste of anything.

I didn't try mixing in any other juices though, I just used the mango pulp. Maybe if I have another go, I'll try mixing in something else. It might well take a lot of attempts before I make something I'm happy with.

I also didn't try boiling the mango this time - was that a big mistake?

Like slightly alcoholic water :( No real taste of anything.

I didn't try mixing in any other juices though, I just used the mango pulp. Maybe if I have another go, I'll try mixing in something else. It might well take a lot of attempts before I make something I'm happy with.

I also didn't try boiling the mango this time - was that a big mistake?

chill bro its all good - you just had alot of water to content ratio - hence i am going to make a mango TC (turbo cider) instead of a wine

Back