Bottling

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kronos

Reaction score
Apart from the visual appearance when bottling are there any benefits taste wise to glass bottles as opposed to plastic ones.

Apart from the visual appearance when bottling are there any benefits taste wise to glass bottles as opposed to plastic ones.

No. it's more of a longevity thing. Most of us here can down our brews before the bad stuff starts to happen.
However, if you use clear, keep them in the dark. UV will cause the yeast to go bad fast.

Another question on bottles, if I purchase the odd bottle of beer from a supermarket can I then clean and use this bottle myself.

Absolutely. I've not bought any new bottles and have just reused those I've bought with beer in them or empties from a pub. Advice is not to use thin lager type bottles though as they might not be strong enough. Also if you are wanting to take the labels off, some are easier to remove than others.

...and unless you have a bench capper, best to avoid Hobgoblin type bottles as they are tricky to cap using the twin lever type.

...and unless you have a bench capper, best to avoid Hobgoblin type bottles as they are tricky to cap using the twin lever type.

Agreed i managed to save 40 of these and struggle to cap them.so now i drink Iron Maiden. Different bottles 😄

Yeah bench capper for the wychwood bottles. .no problems then. I use all recycled beer bottles that I had the pleasure of emptying myself. Must have around 200 now. How long will beer in glass last?

Cheers

Clint

well you know the difference in taste when drinking cola in a glass bottle to that of a glass bottle.....

Back