Mead... High alc ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roddy

Landlord.
Reaction score
Morning peeps

I was gearing up to make a 5L batch of mead, using a basic recipe I saw on here somewhere... think it was fatdads video..

Anyhow... I plugged the ingredients into my spreadsheet and by my reckoning, using about 2kg jars of honey, would give an abv of around 18% (if fermented out to 1.000)

Does this sound about right ? Would the youngs super wine yeast cope with that ?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Nah just normal mead mate, water, honey and yeast 😯

Morning peeps

I was gearing up to make a 5L batch of mead, using a basic recipe I saw on here somewhere... think it was fatdads video..

Anyhow... I plugged the ingredients into my spreadsheet and by my reckoning, using about 2kg jars of honey, would give an abv of around 18% (if fermented out to 1.000)

Does this sound about right ? Would the youngs super wine yeast cope with that ?

Yes mate that sounds about right but very doubtful it will all ferment so if you like it dry then you need less honey. I just done one with 2kg+ and its stuck at 1040. Only thing i can really do is brew a very dry one and blend it. Highest ABV so far was 16.5% but needed extra yeast.

Cheers chaps...

Not binned the cyser idea but fancy seeing what a bog standard mead is like first... although it's supposed to take a long time to get to drinking stage isn't it ?

Cheers chaps...

Not binned the cyser idea but fancy seeing what a bog standard mead is like first... although it's supposed to take a long time to get to drinking stage isn't it ?

Not really. You can drink it in a few months but you might wanna use some bentonite to clear it. I have some though from last year and it does improve.
Sorry no idea about youngs yeast, i normally use GV4 or the wilko wine yeast. A starter is recommended for mead as can be hard to get going.

Morning peeps

That's at most 1620g of fermentable sugar maybe a little less, at most 15.75% abv

Recommended yeast for mead is lalvin d47/k1-v1116 d47 is highly thought of but only if you can keep the temperature down. Another thing most people add double yeast and use lots more nutrients in staggered additions

Latest posts

Back