Using Lawn Mower as Apple Scratter?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beeswax

Reaction score
I tried scratting a dozen apples today with my rotary lawn mower and it worked really well, pulped them in seconds and threw it all back into the basket. If I cleaned the mower up is there any reason why I shouldn't use it? Probably on a tarp or board instead of the ground?

If it works go for it.

I like this home made one.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdppNfbmtjw[/ame]

Big brother -

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1esO4CHbyU[/ame]

The later video just goes to show what cleanliness you can get away with when making cider.

My lawn mower is more vigorous than those machines :)

But my worry is that it wouldn't be clean enough, even after a good scrubbing?

What you haven't said, Beeswax, is how you use your rotary lawn mower as a scratter. Is it a petrol or an electric mower? Is it on wheels or a Flymo type? Do you put the apples into some sort of container, large enough to accept the mower, and then put the mower into that and on top of the apples? Presumably you don't spread the apples on your lawn, run the mower over them and then scrape up the pulp! Subject to your answers to these questions, I can't see how it is an effective way of producing a pomace and it seems as if it must be very wasteful.

Me, I use a garden machine for the same purpose. But's mine's a garden shredder. Many moons ago I tried this using an electric shredder and very nearly burnt out the motor by trying to shred apples sufficiently finely before pressing the pomace. Now I use a heavy duty petrol shredder (13hp) with a top feed, into which I put the apples, and a plastic crate beneath to receive the pomace. However if anyone is minded to do likewise, do remember scrupulously to wash down the inside after use. Obviously most garden shredders will have a mild steel body and blades (who'd want stainless steel if using it for its intended purpose and a plastic casing wouldn't last the course) and the acidic apple pulp will rot and rust the metal if not washed down well (I use a power washer) and dried before being put away. But that said, it does an excellent job and I tend to use it more for scratting apples that shredding garden waste (it's much quicker and easier to burn that).

Latest posts

Back