Ok..its another stupid question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin54

Landlord.
Reaction score
Im running out of brew bins...help
Can I put a 10 litre brew in a 23 litre FV and not worry about all the dead space causing a possible infection?

As far as I know there isn't really problem on excess headspace in a FV for beer. I think cider doesn't like much headspace.

So from me it's a big green light. With the usual sanitary guidelines obviously.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have done it and not had a problem:thumb:
and i do 5 litre brews in 10 litre FV's so same difference:mrgreen:

Im running out of brew bins...help
Can I put a 10 litre brew in a 23 litre FV and not worry about all the dead space causing a possible infection?

Do you mean for fermenting or storing, if its the former then i am sure its OK because the CO2 will protect the beer the latter i am not so sure about.

Do you mean for fermenting or storing, if its the former then i am sure its OK because the CO2 will protect the beer the latter i am not so sure about.
Fermenting, Chippy
The consensus seems that my plan is OK
Ive run out of 'drinkable' beer and need to get my skates on

I have just racked a 5 litre batch into a large Fv ,will leave there for three days then rack it onto my sugar in my bottling Fv and bottle it.

Agree with the above. If your beer is fermenting vigorously then the headspace is no issue - there'll be a CO2 blanket that will protect you from most common spoilage organisms. Plenty of breweries used to use open vessels, so the headspace was infinite!
If you want to rack it off later for maturation, though, then you'll need to be more careful to avoid air getting in, both because of spoilage organisms and also oxygen degrading the flavour.

I am in the same boat with my stock, i hadn't realised how low it had got so I've had a busy day.

That feeling sucks. That's the boat I'm in. And good beer takes at least 5 to 6 weeks to finish so it's not like you can just whip up a batch!

The stuff i make is in the bottle in less than two weeks and drinkable straight away, i like reading the beer threads but haven't the patience or room to make it myself, Mrs Tea is not a beer drinker so that would also double my workload and take up even more space.

The stuff i make is in the bottle in less than two weeks and drinkable straight away, i like reading the beer threads but haven't the patience or room to make it myself, Mrs Tea is not a beer drinker so that would also double my workload and take up even more space.
Got about 9litres into my LARGE FV and cooling now. Will pitch the yeast either tonite or tomorrow. Then, if Im lucky, Im going to do an IPA tomorrow, again only 10 litres. I've got about 20 bottles of this Sierra Nevada stuff I made and its bloody awful. I might bite the bullet and chuck it down the drain. That was an expensive mistake!! Then, well, we will see. Ive got a partial extract recipe for Adnams Ghost Ship, so may do that...busy, busy, busy.

Just made a 1 gallon batch of Bramble wine and only had a 5 gallon FV free for the initial fermentation. Have just put it in a demijohn after about 10 days in the FV and it's doing fine. CO2 is heavier than air so as your brew ferments the CO2 layer just gets thicker and thicker and pushes the air out of the FV.

Just made a 1 gallon batch of Bramble wine and only had a 5 gallon FV free for the initial fermentation. Have just put it in a demijohn after about 10 days in the FV and it's doing fine. CO2 is heavier than air so as your brew ferments the CO2 layer just gets thicker and thicker and pushes the air out of the FV.
Having brewed for the best part of 40 years I never worried or had a care in the world. Join a forum and paranoia and worry set in...I wonder why??

Back