BrewUK lucky dip yeasts

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do they tend to be the strains that shops don't sell many of? My girlfriend will be happy if I'm encouraged to make something sour.

If you go down that route do bear in mind it is advisable you have and use a complete separate fermentation equipment.

Do they tend to be the strains that shops don't sell many of? My girlfriend will be happy if I'm encouraged to make something sour.

Well brett by itself isn't sour though it is found in most sour beers. If you use it just for bottle conditioning then it adds some interesting funky fruity flavours, think Orval.

, think Orval.

o-KEITH-HARRIS-570.jpg

That isn't what you meant was it??

Well brett by itself isn't sour though it is found in most sour beers. If you use it just for bottle conditioning then it adds some interesting funky fruity flavours, think Orval.

Aah, that's interesting, I might try it for bottle conditioning if I get a Brett strain. I was going to try a Dubbel at some point so it could go with that. I'll probably have hundreds of questions if I get anything like that. I should probably hope for something more conventional though! I'll see what appears through my letterbox in a few days time.

Also thanks for the advice on having separate kit. It might make the £10 bargain a little less worth it! We'll see.

Aah, that's interesting, I might try it for bottle conditioning if I get a Brett strain. I was going to try a Dubbel at some point so it could go with that. I'll probably have hundreds of questions if I get anything like that. I should probably hope for something more conventional though! I'll see what appears through my letterbox in a few days time.

Also thanks for the advice on having separate kit. It might make the �£10 bargain a little less worth it! We'll see.

Ooh a brett dubbel sounds fantastic :clap:

with regard to the OP, i got a lucky dip from Brew UK when they ran them last year and got the following:

WL - Dusseldorf alt
WL - Southern German lager
Yeast Bay - Saison/Brett blend
Wyeast - Scottish ale
Wyeast - an English strain i cant remember

although 2 of the above are still sitting in my fridge, it was a fun thing to do and, i thought, fairly decent value give most of these strains individually would be at least a fiver. it could be argued you might spend as much on DME for all the starters needed to build the cell count up to an acceptable level but who knows...

Thanks, it's good to hear other experiences! Hopefully I'll get a decent selection.

So they arrived!

I got WLP 835 German lager (likely will go unused as I have no way of fermenting at lager temperatures), Yeast Bay Brussels Brett blend, WLP644 Sacc brux trios, and two Yeast Bay Mélange. No idea what my plan is for these!

So they arrived!

I got WLP 835 German lager (likely will go unused as I have no way of fermenting at lager temperatures), Yeast Bay Brussels Brett blend, WLP644 Sacc brux trios, and two Yeast Bay Mélange. No idea what my plan is for these!

or do a dirty lager when the ambient rooms get colder?

Am I right in thinking you got a load of brett and sours them?

Why not keep the wlp835 for the winter and just put the fv in the coldest place you can find, I wouldn't worry if it was a few degrees hotter than ideal.
The brussels brett is supposedly a Cantillon blend so perfect for a lambic, brew it and stash it away for a couple of years and it'll be great.
The 644 looks great too, one I've been wanting to try for a while in something like an IPA. It's not a brett strain but it has a lot of similar flavours.

or do a dirty lager when the ambient rooms get colder?

Am I right in thinking you got a load of brett and sours them?

I think people used to think the WLP644 was Brett, but now it turns out it's not. It looks interesting though. Described as having "wild yeast like fermentations". I've found a recipe for an IPA with it that I might use as a base.

I could maybe use the pair of Yeast Bay Mélange to make a conventional sour, leaving it for ages. I'll do some more investigation when I'm home tonight.

Latest posts

Back