Fuggles SMaSH

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PubAtHome

New Brewer
Reaction score
Hello!

I've been brewing extract kits for many years now and loved it, so I started growing Fuggles hops on my allotment.

After a couple of years the plant is doing well and this year I got almost 0.5Kg.

Any good recipes for a Fuggles SMaSH would be welcome.

The Fuggle hop gives an earthy and grassy taste and Im not sure its used on its own. I certainly count find a Fuggles SMASH in the Greg Hughes book.
Have a look on youtube to see if there are films about brewing with it

If you look in Graham Wheeler's book the recipes for Donnington's BB and Donnington's SBA only use Fuggles, but only for bittering: they're in at the start of the boil with no late addtions. Not quite a SMASH as they use a bit of Crystal with the pale malt, but I've made it and it's nice, and a pretty close clone recipe.

It's a pity you're not closer as I've grown EKG this year and have a great crop, goes well together with Fuggles.

If you look in Graham Wheeler's book the recipes for Donnington's BB and Donnington's SBA only use Fuggles, but only for bittering: they're in at the start of the boil with no late addtions. Not quite a SMASH as they use a bit of Crystal with the pale malt, but I've made it and it's nice, and a pretty close clone recipe.

It's a pity you're not closer as I've grown EKG this year and have a great crop, goes well together with Fuggles.
Agree, the EKG and Fuggles do indeed go well together.
well done for finding that.

Can't see a hop swap being an issue. The only downside is postage.

Hello!

I've been brewing extract kits for many years now and loved it, so I started growing Fuggles hops on my allotment.

After a couple of years the plant is doing well and this year I got almost 0.5Kg.

Any good recipes for a Fuggles SMaSH would be welcome.
Go for it, use the recipe builder on here for guidance. I like fuggles and much prefer them to goldings!

Latest posts

Back