30 bottle kit question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinotinto

Landlord.
Reaction score
So now I have a few gallons of country wine and wow on the go I really want to have a try at the Kenridge Classic Barolo 30 bottle. Some newbie questions / advice though please after reading online instructions.

Kits say to use a 23l fv but 30l recommended then transfer to 23 l carbouy with lock.

I have a fv that will go to 25 l to the brim and is graduated to 23l. Plain lid with no airlock. Will it be ok to use this with loose fitting lid half clipped down as I am concerned about overflowing?

Additionally am I right to assume that it is fine to then split this amongst 5 1 gal djs instead of one large container for the second stage?

I note it specifies NOT to top up with water at any stage.
Thank you.

25l FV would be a bit tight, any of the red wine kits I've done haven't been to explosive but i still wouldn't chance the whole lot at once with only a 2/3l headspace. I don't top up with water per se but i do add a bit extra (about 1.5l) in at the start as you will lose 1 or 2 bottles worth with racking, i find the wine is still very good even with the extra drop of water.

I wouldn't split it, follow the instructions then you know its going to turn out as its supposed to.

So you recommend me getting a large carboy? Or perhaps another FV with bung and airlock?

I have a 23 litre FV that will probably hold 26 litre to the brim and my WineBubby Sav Blanc kits have blown through my blow off tube on several occasions, i would (if you havent already started it) get a bigger FV than the one you have and use your existing one for second stage.

I have a 23 litre FV that will probably hold 26 litre to the brim and my WineBubby Sav Blanc kits have blown through my blow off tube on several occasions, i would (if you havent already started it) get a bigger FV than the one you have and use your existing one for second stage.

Hahaha, you are ahead of me there chippy although I would need an airlock on the latter if not both? Not the easiest thing to smuggle past the missus! :)

I brewed my barolo in a 25 ltr bucket without issue however if you decide to get a new bucket I'd recommend this one
https://www.brewuk.co.uk/young-s-wide-neck-wine-fermenter-25-litre.html
I have 2 of these and the seal Is brilliant also theres more than enough room for 23 ltrs kits.
When I brewed my kenridge barolo I don't recall it being overly foamy, I Racked it at 1010 to get it off the yeast which is recommended by several kit makers
And I brewed it to 23 liters and didn't top up after racking. If you plan your bulk age it in your carboy you could top up with a bit of water or if you missing quite a bit after racking you could buy a barolo and top it up with that.

Also you might want to check the measurements on your fermenter as mine were off by quite a bit

Even with the most generouse headroom some brews can escape, simply bear this in mind and take precautions like sitting the bucket in a 100l storage box or big trub ;) and dont sit it on the best living room carpet ;)

If it explodes its a sign of a healthy yeast population happily munching away so mop up after it for a day or two , i would use a sodium met solution to sanitise the mopping up without risking tainting the brew which would be a minimal risk due to the outward movement of the brew,,

if you have any form of temp control you could try fermenting at the lowest temp suggested viable for the yeast to ensure a slower fermentation so if it suggests 16-22c ferment at 16-17C ;)

Back