'Painful erection' spiders found in family's fruit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
You couldn't make it up. :lol:

_91380423_mediaitem91380422.jpg

BBC News.

A family have had their home fumigated due to an infestation of "deadly spiders" they say arrived in a bunch of bananas from their local Asda.
Ashley Gamble, from Leicester, told the Sun that dozens of the creepy-crawlies emerged from a cocoon on the fruit.
There is speculation they were Brazilian wandering spiders, a bite from which can cause an "extremely painful" erection and possible death.
Asda said finds like this were "rare" and it was investigating further.
Mr Gamble, who moved his family out of the home for a brief period, said it was like "something out of a horror movie".
"All our bananas are washed and sprayed before they are transported to the UK and every single piece of fruit is manually checked for quality and stowaways," a spokeswoman for Asda said.
"We sell one billion bananas every year and the chance of finding a spider is incredibly low, but very occasionally one hangs around to give us a fright."
To rid the property of the spiders a pest control firm heated the house up to 60°C to neutralise them.
Paul Gale, from the company, said Brazilian wandering spiders were "potentially lethal".
"They are from a humid, moist climate. The heat we're putting in is a dry heat and they are unable to live."
Matthew Holden, from the Nottingham Reptile Centre, said their venom could cause an "extremely painful" erection.
However, he added that the "spiders in fruit stories" could be "blown out of proportion" as they were probably more likely to be harmless and from the UK.
There has been no independent confirmation of what species was found at the house.

Always get your misses to check your banana regularly, especially if she has to pay for it :mrgreen:

Bananas like those used in a fruit fly trap - very effective.

My mate got stung on the dong by a swarm of wasps while holidaying at a nudist camp,off he went to see the doc and the doc said I'll give you something for the pain but put the swelling to good use,I'll get me coat

I was a greengrocer for 11 years spanning the 80's and 90's. I found loads of creepy crawlies over the years including large spiders and spider nests,praying mantis,huge moths and butterflies, lizards and ants of epic size. Very interesting especially for the female staff! We even phoned the zoo when we had live things but they weren't interested! These were placed in a box but all died eventually. ..except for the spiders which were expedited to heaven.

Cheers

Clint

Latest posts

Back