Oak chips in india red ale, quantity in 4 litre brew over 7 day secondary?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trojanwesty

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've currently got a 4 litre batch of an India Red Ale fermenting. I want to oak it over a 7 day period in secondary, but I'm unsure about how many grams of 'American medium toast' oak chips I should be adding to achieve a light-medium oak flavour.

I've been seeing some info on American sites in gallon and ounces, but converting a volume measurement to mass measurement ends up converting differently depending on the rate source. One suggested 4oz in 5 gallons for that 7 day period, so it's converted to about 22g in 4 litres, but that ratio seems quite heavy on the oak.

What would you more experienced oakers suggest?

It's quite difficult to determine, so the usual method is to add the oak chips then taste the beer regularly until it has the character you want. A good starting point is around 1.5g/L but I think 7 days may not be long enough. You can add a lot of oak for a short period of time however the flavour will be more one dimensional than a small amount of oak for a longer period.

It's quite difficult to determine, so the usual method is to add the oak chips then taste the beer regularly until it has the character you want. A good starting point is around 1.5g/L but I think 7 days may not be long enough. You can add a lot of oak for a short period of time however the flavour will be more one dimensional than a small amount of oak for a longer period.

Another very informed post from the Galle Crater.

Thanks from those of us who merely inhabit the third rock from the sun, Steve.

Thanks for that insight. In which case I will aim for 2-3 weeks at that ratio and taste regularly. Cheers!

Latest posts

Back