GrainFather Brew Day #19 - Citra Pale Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I thought I'd brew the same recipe Citra Pale as I done a few months ago as I was really pleased with it and figured it would be a good brew to enter for the November forum competition. I used exactly the same recipe, grains were pretty fresh and the brew day went without hitch but for some reason I only hit an OG of 1.040 instead of 1.048! I have no idea what went wrong although I did notice that the sparge went ridiculously quickly...this has happened once before and I was under target that time too although not by so much! I really need to try and understand why this happened as I've been missing targets much more often recently when I used to hit them spot on, my only three theories are:

1 - The grain isn't fresh even tho it was only delivered last week
2 - The crush of the grain isn't suitable for the grainfather
3 - I've cocked up the mash water ratio

I've ruled out over dilution as I've got roughly the same in the fermenter as I usually do.

Assuming I hit the predicted FG I should end up with something around 4% so as long as the balance isn't too out of whack it should still end up being a decent beer, it certainly smelt nice enough in the trial jar.

Original recipe/brew details here: http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=63352

Lol, thanks for the reminder, I've just realised my citra is about a week in and ready for a dry hop.

Fully fermented in 3 days (the 2l starter was probably overkill!) and sample yesterday wasn't overly impressive, reasonable flavour but not a great aroma. I detected a slightly sour smell in the sample but not sure if I'm just paranoid since my Goose Island clone went south. Dry hops went in last night so hopefully they'll save the day, if I have any concerns when I come to bottle next Wednesday I'll be in a spot of bother as I need to reuse the yeast...best pop to Wilko for an emergency pack of Gervin.

Tried my first bottle last night and it was much much better than I was expecting, under carbed but it's only been a week in the bottle so hopefully another week will rectify that.

Latest posts

Back