dry hopping disaster

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lagerlad

Reaction score
well what a night last night i have dry hopped in the past but only with whole hops which i have just threw in the fermenter,no problem...this time I used pellet hops what a pain,siphoned beer into bottling bucket but lots of the hop particles went too so i thought i would put a bit of muslin round the tap end to stop the particles reaching the bottle,had to remove it to clean every bottle and it was running so slow put at least an hour on my bottling time,next time hop sock for pellets i think....live and learn

If you leave it long enough the pellets sink to the bottom then you can rack the beer off the top.

sad thing is i have a hop bag but thought i would get better flavour with free flowing hops.....maybe but not worth the hassle!

What Cqr said, a small straining bag over the siphon does the trick without the downsides of bagging up your pellets. I normally dry hop for a full week and they've all long since sunk down to the bottom by then.

All top advice. I usually rack the beer off ,some voil over the syphon end and add a hop bag. When ready, syphon into my bottling FV and bottle:thumb:

I've never dry hopped before but put some Pellets in the fermenter last night for a brew I intend to barrel tomorrow, recipe called for 3 days dry hopping but as I'd left it late I doubled up on the hops. I also have a hop sock so wish I had read this sooner.

Still I'm thinking as mine is going in a pressure barrel rather bottles I can get away with some of the hops transferring.

If you leave it long enough the pellets sink to the bottom then you can rack the beer off the top.

I rack all my beers after 2weeks to a secondary FV for a further week before bottling. If adding pellets, i would add 5 days before the first racking. Any hop debris carried over is going to sink in secondary before bottling.

If I were dry hopping with leaf hops, I would use a hop bag.

Latest posts

Back