Got to love a local home brew shop..

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roddy

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm pretty spoiled in Edinburgh, we have a rather good home brew shop in town, that's pretty near my house, and work :)

Popped in today to pick up some youngs super wine yeast compound, and ended up buying..

a 5L autosiphon and some tubing
another pot of campden tabs
a couple of 2 piece airlocks
a big tub of VWP
a spare yub of yswyc

had to get out of there fast before I picked up anything else... another 27L FV caught my eye but I resisted (2 should be enough !)

Finally got one in Worcester which I must pay a visit to especially as they do refills for Hambleton Bard CO2 cylinders and I was given a couple recently.

One of the many things I've missed since moving out of Cheltenham was POP's Homebrew.

I would love a local homebrew shop, I don't want to pay postage and I'm right out of yubs.

I have one that's just moved to within 5 mins of my house.

So far since they moved I've bought a new boiler, FV, Mashtun, bottle drainer, 2 x AG recipe batches and I've been back for little extras. In 3 visits I've spent a fortune. Banned myself from going back until end of Oct.

Doubt that'll happen though! 😂

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I have one that's just moved to within 5 mins of my house.

So far since they moved I've bought a new boiler, FV, Mashtun, bottle drainer, 2 x AG recipe batches and I've been back for little extras. In 3 visits I've spent a fortune. Banned myself from going back until end of Oct.

Doubt that'll happen though! 😂

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

They'll see you over the weekend then!?

I'm pretty spoiled in Edinburgh, we have a rather good home brew shop in town, that's pretty near my house, and work :)

Popped in today to pick up some youngs super wine yeast compound, and ended up buying..

a 5L autosiphon and some tubing
another pot of campden tabs
a couple of 2 piece airlocks
a big tub of VWP
a spare yub of yswyc

had to get out of there fast before I picked up anything else... another 27L FV caught my eye but I resisted (2 should be enough !)

Is it really enough fermenting vessels though....its never enough!

I only have one thats in reasonable distance which means me going into Coventry and into the market..

Unfortunatley his stuff isn't great, sells mostly wine and beer kits which look a little dusty and from what I can see 4 types of yeast, youngs wine yeast youngs cider yeast US05 and S04.. some fermenters PBs and gone general equipment..

Wouldn't mind supporting a LHBS but unfortunatley that doesn't service my needs, a kit brewer perhaps but I question the shelf life of the kits and you cannot even buy DME or LME there.. I think maybe brew enhancer which was 500 grams for £5..

We do not have a home brew shop but a health food shop in town sells Youngs SWYC, nutrient, stabiliser etc, we have a Wilko in the next town which is about 8 miles away.

I was going to go to brewstore today to pick up some dextrose for bottling but was already planning my additional purchases...so made due with table sugar...

I only have one thats in reasonable distance which means me going into Coventry and into the market..

Unfortunatley his stuff isn't great, sells mostly wine and beer kits which look a little dusty and from what I can see 4 types of yeast, youngs wine yeast youngs cider yeast US05 and S04.. some fermenters PBs and gone general equipment..

Wouldn't mind supporting a LHBS but unfortunatley that doesn't service my needs, a kit brewer perhaps but I question the shelf life of the kits and you cannot even buy DME or LME there.. I think maybe brew enhancer which was 500 grams for �£5..

I went to see him when I first joined the forum, nearly put me off,

I went to see him when I first joined the forum, nearly put me off,

Brewer Bill??:lol: yeah I was being kind perhaps, even for a newbie his kits are so old they cannot be at their best.. Apparently someone told me there was one in Beduff but I haven't heard of it.. I only live not far from the Ricoh Arena so that would be a local one, but I just don't think there is anything too suitable around here.

I think the nearest one to Cov is the home-brew-shop but that's still a hell of a drive.

My local is relatively competitive but he's a grump! I know a few other members on here simply don't give him their custom because of the way he is. He has run mashing courses in the past but he hasn't re-advertised to do it again otherwise I would be on it like a car bonnet. might give him a call in the week mentioning this

I'm not aware of a decent one locally.

When I've been through to Edinburgh I've planned to make a grain/hops/yeast order to pick up at Brewstore, but every time I've gone to do this I've found that Geterbrewed are cheaper after postage than Brewstore are for free in-store collection! My most recent attempt was last weekend because my wife had planned a trip to Edinburgh on a midweek day off.

It's a real shame mick, their fresh milled grain is very good but I'm not sure it's worth twice the price (before delivery).

I try to buy other things there as I think their learn to brew course set me on the right track and it is helpful being able to nip out and pick up something that has ran out.

They're very competitive for kits, need to check liquid yeasts if/when I get to that stage.

www.houseofhomebrew.co.uk is just up the road from me <2 miles. It's part of a health food shop but has a decent selection of kits, grains, yeast and equipment.

They work very hard and as one of the owners tells me they can crush up 3kg of grain and sell it for £3 for a lot of hard work or sell a vitamin for £3 with no work and make the same profit.

There service is second to none, they are always willing to give advice and they always try and help the customer. Although I've bought elsewhere and online, I'll always give them my custom first. Prices are very competitive but I don't mind paying more than I can find online.

Just a big thumbs up for a brilliant shop and brilliant people.

It's funny to see a place I recognise personally on a forum, as regards @MickDundee and @Wfr42's comments re our local homebrew shop.

I got my first couple of kits (Brewferm Tarwebier hacked with curaco, corriander saaz and styrian goldings, M20 bavarian wheat niavely fermented at 23c to surprisingly good effect, muntons highland heavy fermented as intended at 20c - sadly "Davie at BS" - it's just not for me and have tasted a bottle of this 2nd batch done last year - its still minging :razz:

I still pop in if I'm passing, its handy for the emergency requirements (I'm always breaking hydrometers, thermometers or losing bungs and gromets) and even the odd OCD Coopers kit because at one point Tes co Direc t was charging a ludicrus amount for their Coopers Australian. But have to agree with Mick's assertion that if you plan a couple of brews ahead then you're saving the cost of delivery fee compared to the local's prices, hops and spraymalt especially from Geterbrewed but will always try and get at least one kit every few months to have the local place open.

I have also commented to local about their rewards etc so have no shame saying about the wiser ways of spending my non existent mullah. Sorry I ranted in a slaver!!!

Last edited:
Brewer Bill??:lol: yeah I was being kind perhaps, even for a newbie his kits are so old they cannot be at their best.. Apparently someone told me there was one in Beduff but I haven't heard of it.. I only live not far from the Ricoh Arena so that would be a local one, but I just don't think there is anything too suitable around here.

I think the nearest one to Cov is the home-brew-shop but that's still a hell of a drive.

ive looked and found nothing local,i dont like paying postage but its cheaper than fuel for a 60mls round trip,

www.houseofhomebrew.co.uk is just up the road from me <2 miles. It's part of a health food shop but has a decent selection of kits, grains, yeast and equipment.

They work very hard and as one of the owners tells me they can crush up 3kg of grain and sell it for £3 for a lot of hard work or sell a vitamin for £3 with no work and make the same profit.

There service is second to none, they are always willing to give advice and they always try and help the customer. Although I've bought elsewhere and online, I'll always give them my custom first. Prices are very competitive but I don't mind paying more than I can find online.

Just a big thumbs up for a brilliant shop and brilliant people.
What he said! ;) brilliant wee shop to have nearby, especially with my habit of breaking hydrometers at inopportune moments... ;)

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back