Secondary FV

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jakeyboi

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I want to condition a brew (OTR cider) in a secondary fv for a couple weeks, only problem is I have run out of buckets and don't want to buy another just yet.

I have a plastic pressure barrell (useless thing I got with a starter kit) I am wondering if I can use it as a secondary fv?

Should I prime it with a little sugar to create a co2 layer? And if so should I leave the cap on top loose?

Or I think I have a co2 cartridge should I fit the cap and pressurise it with the co2?

I've done a full 23L batch.

Any advice most welcome

Jake

I only use glass for my secondary but a barrel should be fine I would use a bung and an air lock

You could use the barrel, just give it a blast of CO2 to purge the air. Of course the other option is just to leave it in the primary.

If its fermented out fully go ahead and bottle it and let it prime/condition in the bottle, i would rack it to the PB to reduce sediment and bottle from that.

I don't want to leave it in the fv because I need to add a mixed berry flavouring. I feel if I add to the fv some of the flavour could be absorbed by the sediment. I may be wrong I am only presuming.

I don't want to leave it in the fv because I need to add a mixed berry flavouring. I feel if I add to the fv some of the flavour could be absorbed by the sediment. I may be wrong I am only presuming.

racking your brew onto extra flavour is going to give a better outcome. I purge my secondary with co2 to minimise potential beer aging problems.

Ok thanks dad of John. How do you purge the air? If you screw the co2 capsule into the pressure barrel it will pressurise with co2 but the air that was in there will still be there.

Back