Kegerator - moving air

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wabby

Regular.
Reaction score
My newly built kegerator is giving foam for the first half pour.

Ive tracked it down to temp.

2c at bottom, 9c at tap so my lines are too warm I think.

Any ideas how I could circulate the air inside?

Its a 3/4 tall larder fridge btw.

Cheers

in my brewfridge i use a standard pc case fan powered by a spare redundant phone charger. i am now on my 2nd pc fan after about 4 years+ use, #1 died about 2 1/2 years into use..

depending on how long your lines are you will suffer some splutering from the initial pour of an evenings serving, my system with about 4m of line post keg spit out 1/4-1/2 a glass of foamy splutter which i simply chuck, imho it represents a fraction of the loss from using bottles leaving 1" or so with the sediment in the bottle.. the pressure along the line drops til it hits the tap and some will loose its condition due to the warmer ambient temp and the lower pressure containing it in the last length of line.

The good news is even though the splutter can fill 1/2 a pint glass with flat beer and foam its an insignificant volume of beer lost mainly being co2, representing the beer contained in the beerline alone ;)

If your exterior beer lines are any length you can insulate it with something like armaflex pipe lagging to keep temp down a bit once you've started pouring.

Its interior, but the air temp at the top of the fridge is alot warmer than at bottom with it being a tall fridge.

a fan will help normalise the temperature within the fridge for sure, and keep the enclosed line chilled evenly too, the pressure drop along the line and the temperature of any external line will still contribute to a lively spurt when the tap is first cracked after a long rest,

in my brewfridge i use a standard pc case fan powered by a spare redundant phone charger. i am now on my 2nd pc fan after about 4 years+ use, #1 died about 2 1/2 years.

+1 I bought a pc case fan for my larder type brewfridge. £4.99 in Maplins 12dc supply needed. - redundant phone charger (12volt one) would do the job.

I have PC case fans in mine, although I turned them off, I figured that the stainless walls of the keg should be enough to conduct heat up and down the height of the kegs. The top of my keezer is a wooden collar and the condensation was running off it when the fan was on, so in my case at least it's better just to let the air stratify. You won't have the same issue in a fridge tough.

Also bear in mind that water actually gets less dense towards zero, so cold beer will float to the top if the bottom of the fridge drops below 4C!

Will hold off on the fan just for now.

Tried a bottle of the same brew and it has massive head also so could just be coincidence plus me being paranoid.

2.5lb of wheat malt should have given me a clue. Lol

Back