using finings...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint

Forum jester...🏅🏆
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all
I currently have an APA on the go made with a Coopers kit and subbed the yeast with a US 05 as per recipe instructions. Concensus is the 05 is lower flocculating and could cause pouring issues from the bottle. Can I use finings after fermentation/prior to bottling to help with compaction,or am I barking up the wrong tree? Or shall I leave it and see?

Cheers

Clint

You could add gelatine 24 to 48 hrs before bottling to help flocculate the yeast.
Another option is to cold crash the beer if you have a temperature control fermentation fridge get the beer down to below 5c or leave it sit for a while longer and it will be clear more yeast out of suspension.

I was thinking of cold crashing a very cloudy beer i have, but thought i read somewhere you should wait until after carbination- ie once bottled and settled, as it would overly effect the yeast reacting with the sugar? obviously it would be better to remove as much yeast sediment before bottling so would prefer to cold crash first. Geletine may be safer option but can anyone offer any further advice on cold crashing?

I was thinking of cold crashing a very cloudy beer i have, but thought i read somewhere you should wait until after carbination- ie once bottled and settled, as it would overly effect the yeast reacting with the sugar? obviously it would be better to remove as much yeast sediment before bottling so would prefer to cold crash first. Geletine may be safer option but can anyone offer any further advice on cold crashing?

No, I think the general idea is that you cold crash before bottling as it should cause a lot of the yeast matter than is in suspension to drop out and fall to the bottom of the fermenter. It won't effect the carbonation as the yeast will just become dormant until such time as it warms up again and it has some food (i.e priming sugar) to munch through. There should still be enough left in the beer to allow this to happen.

That said I've never cold crashed a beer myself, generally the flocculation of most yeasts is sufficient that most of it has dropped out by the time I keg or bottle. What's left can then settle out after priming and conditioning. Chilling to serve will further assist this and so long as you're careful when pouring so as not to stir up any remaining sediment then you should have clear beer.

Thanks...force cooling does work so does letting them be and waiting, as long there are no other reasons the beer is cloudy. I have no clarity issues otherwise with the kit/coopers/gervin yeasts I have used I'm just wondering about the 05 yeast. It will get 2 weeks at least in the fv.

Cheers

Clint

ok, i might take a sample and cold crash that to see how it goes. would be happy to leave it but it has been dry hopped.

Back