Decoction mash schedule for Wheat Beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerCat

Landlord.
Reaction score
East and West Grimblestbottom under the rye
Been thinking of having a go at a single Decoction mash for aWheat Beer and need some help with the schedule.
Going to be doing BIAB in the Ace boiler with a 5KG grain bill with around 20l water. I have a 7l pot which i plan to use to boil on the cooker.
I normall mash at 65c so wasa thinking of starting at 50c, 20mins in take out a quarter of the grain and boil for 20mins. Add that back leave for half an hour then mash out at 75c.
The link below is interesting so though has to be worth a go. Cheers.

http://www.ahaconference.org/wp-con...avarian Hefeweizen - Harold J. Gulbransen.pdf

I think a single decoction is usually used to raise to mash out temperature, so mash as normal at 65c then boil enough decoction to raise to around 76c. The problem with doing a protein rest is that with most modern fully modified malts this will break down the head forming proteins. If you want to do the 50c rest then use something like Weyerman floor malted pilsner which is less modified and will benefit from it.

I did something similar with a Hefeweizen, although I did a stepped infusion mash. From reading, a short Protein rest of 10 minutes is ok. The other rest to consider is a ferulic acid rest at 45c for 10-20 minutes if you want to maximise clove like phenols.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies guys. Still a bit confused however and probably going to be short of time on my next brew now. I guess i dont really understand what all the rests are. Maybe i should try a step mash first as never done one before? What would be the schedule? I am also a bit confused as why its mashed at 65c and not higher as the body of a wheatbeer seems to be quite thick( like me).

I did a wheat beer recently.
Having no idea what I was doing, I did it like I would any standard ale.

Mash at 66 for 60.
Boil for 60 with hop additions.

Whilst it didn't come out cloudy like a commercial wheat beer, you could tell it was a wheat beer.

Marks out of 10... i'd give it 8 due to loss of cloud.

I stand to be corrected, but I think that is the reason for doing a protein rest in wheat beer brewing, it break downs the protein in wheat into smaller particles that stay in suspension more readily, similar to the difference between more and less flocculant yeast.

Brewing without kettle finings is obviously one way to try and keep haze.

I stand to be corrected, but I think that is the reason for doing a protein rest in wheat beer brewing, it break downs the protein in wheat into smaller particles that stay in suspension more readily, similar to the difference between more and less flocculant yeast.

Brewing without kettle finings is obviously one way to try and keep haze.

Thanks for the feedback mate. I realised after i added the protofloc i probably should not. I have some old wheat beer in the garage that looks as clear as lager lol.
In the end i went with a step mash.

I think a single decoction is usually used to raise to mash out temperature, so mash as normal at 65c then boil enough decoction to raise to around 76c. The problem with doing a protein rest is that with most modern fully modified malts this will break down the head forming proteins. If you want to do the 50c rest then use something like Weyerman floor malted pilsner which is less modified and will benefit from it.

What are "head forming proteins",? Remember, most of us on here are just amateurs.

Thanks for the feedback mate. I realised after i added the protofloc i probably should not. I have some old wheat beer in the garage that looks as clear as lager lol.
In the end i went with a step mash.
Ha. You must be operating the same brewday autopilot system i use. I think I've done that before. Protein haze is purely cosmetic, anyway. I always resuspend the yeast before drinking.

What are "head forming proteins",? Remember, most of us on here are just amateurs.

Exactly what they sound like, there are 3 main proteins which contribute towards head formation and stability. In less well modified malts a protein rest will raise the levels of these proteins but in fully modified malts, the active enzyme at protein rest temperatures will break down these already formed proteins which is detrimental to head formation.

Juts got an induction hob so now possible to try the decotion. Last time i did a 4 stage step mash and got 8 points of OG which i never normally do. Only downside was it gunked up the bottom of my boiler and i could not drain the wort. This could be fixed by cleaning the boiler after mashing i didn't remember. If anyone is interested i followed the same step mash as on this video (will be trying his Belgium Stout next).
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBCzmTj5Ipw&t=51s[/ame]
Another question is when step mashing is it necessary to continue to circulate the wort? I am just setting up a pump for the first time.

Latest posts

Back