The Home Brew Company Full Extract American Brown Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
These HBC full extract kits are all fairly similar with just the hop and grain additions varying: 2 x pouches of liquid malt extract, grains for steeping, hops vacuum-packed and labelled for different additions during the boil, US-05 yeast and even a Whirfloc tablet. I got it in their sale for an unbelievable �£13.68 (�£14.40 less 5% forum discount) but they're back up to �£18.00 now, still great value for an all-in 23L Extract kit - my LHBS sells similar for over 30 quid.

IMG_2542_zpsmjfprtd5.jpg

This was my 2nd HBC full extract kit, as per the first I didn't agree with the instructions saying to do a full-volume 26L boil so did a reduced-volume 8L as I've always done with extract (over 80 successful brews!). The hop schedule with the American Brown was a little different to what I've done before, not at lot in at 60min but a huge hop addition 15min from the end. I brewed it a little short to 19L rather than 23L and bottled it on Day 14 (maybe a little too early as it wasn't completely clear).

After 2 weeks carbing up I've tried a few, and boy are they good. Nice and hoppy without being overpowering, no homebrew twang even this early in the conditioning. Gave one to a mate who is a bit of a beer connoisseur and he absolutely loved it. Of the 100+ brews I've made this is up there with the very best, and that includes AG - it really is that good. And for such a great price, cheaper than 2-can kits with superior quality. Here's the result - well recommended.

IMG_2691_zpsjusiqlzg.jpg

Latest posts

Back