Phew .... it's a weird world ...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GranGreen

Reaction score
On the sunny south coast in Portsmouth, UK
So .... started a RGJ & Apple splosh based on WOW's. Used a yeast/nutrient mix from Wilko. Hmmmm .... it's going OK but is very busy. Fun and cheap and if it dies then there's not much lost.

BUT! In another 1 gallon DJ I have some tea wine (without the Red Bush) and will, according to the instructions, top up with another pound of sugar syrup at day 8 or so. It's much quieter bloopy-bloopy wise but the yeast stuff looks like a dead fat old pancake at the base of the DJ. Hoping it will be OK 'cos I *really* want to do Tea Wine,

Am I worrying too much, Mrs Bloggs?

It Will be fine, ignore bloopies they are only a rough indicator, let gravity readings confirm progress and completion ;)

Patience is the hardest brew-skill to acquire ;)

Whoopsie - haven't taken a starting gravity. Can get the hang of the hydrometer thing. Readings are too close together. Is it possible to get one that's just for wine and is actually readable without a magnifying glass?

I lost track of how many of those glass hydrometers i managed to break so i did some digging in the loft to find my old boots plastic one. It's reasonably accurate and a lot more robust and easier to read than the glass ones.
You can still find the odd one on ebay, they look like this;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Beer-maki...733931?hash=item43f74b92ab:g:JKYAAOSw3YNXb-C8

Good for wine or beer..........

bloopy bloopy - good technical term.......:mrgreen:

I lost track of how many of those glass hydrometers i managed to break so i did some digging in the loft to find my old boots plastic one. It's reasonably accurate and a lot more robust and easier to read than the glass ones.
You can still find the odd one on ebay, they look like this;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Beer-maki...733931?hash=item43f74b92ab:g:JKYAAOSw3YNXb-C8

Good for wine or beer..........

bloopy bloopy - good technical term.......:mrgreen:
I used to have one of those, and I rather liked it.

Oh heck .... the more I read about hydrometers the less I want to use one. Temperature of room ... 60F/18(ish)C. Nope - no way that will happen. For various reasons this ol' house just doesn't get that cool. And I'm not about to get all technical with the formula for other ambient temps. Oh well, brewing's been going on for longer than hydrometers have existed so I'll take my chances.

I really should stop worrying so much. :confused:

Oh heck .... the more I read about hydrometers the less I want to use one. Temperature of room ... 60F/18(ish)C. Nope - no way that will happen. For various reasons this ol' house just doesn't get that cool. And I'm not about to get all technical with the formula for other ambient temps. Oh well, brewing's been going on for longer than hydrometers have existed so I'll take my chances.

I really should stop worrying so much. :confused:
Have to say, that I do own a hydrometer, but rarely use it. if there are no bubbles on the beer surface, and it tastes dry, I bottle it. Not very scientific I know, but its always worked for me, and Im not interested in working out alcohol content, so long as it tastes good.

I guess this is where the phrase 'suck it and see' really comes into its own. Thanks, kind people. I'll consign the hydrometer to the 'nice but not necessary' drawer.
depends how scientific you want to be.

Sometimes I don't bother with a hydrometer, but only if I ruffly know sugar content and that I have time for it to complete ferment. For example haven't bothered taking reading from my blackberries and sloe wines as they were going to be in there for 2 months at least. OG is not always important unless you think that sugar is too high for the yeast you have to complete to dry. If you're in a rush and want to avoid possible bottle explosions then fg needs to be taken, unless you always use camden and a stabiliser like potassium sorbate, in which case be prepared for a sweeter than expected wine.

I'm new to this but don't really understand the hassle - taking small samples for a hydrometer reading provides the perfect excuse for a tasting. And I do worry a bit about exploding bottles.....

I do agree on the fragility of the glass ones though - I've only been doing this for two weeks and it has nearly come a-cropper once already...

Latest posts

Back