Grape juice concentrate = Grape juice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineglass36

Reaction score
Hi I have been trying to find How much grape juice is equivalent to grape juice concentrate, Where a recipe shows 250ml concentrate how much normal juice could I use instead?

When I looked into it. Youngs definitive grape concentrate 245g tin was equivalent to 1 litre of grape juice. About 160g of sugar.

When I looked into it. Youngs definitive grape concentrate 245g tin was equivalent to 1 litre of grape juice. About 160g of sugar.

You say you 'looked in to it'. Where did you get the information from eventually. I have emailed Youngs about this a couple of times but not even with the decency of an acknowledgment let alone an answer. :-(

You were kind enough to dig that out before Chippy but it still does not answer the question - how much sugar in the Youngs definitive grape enricher ( concentrate ).

You are right it doesn't, i assumed it would be the same as a litre of WGJ at around 160g, if you can get the exact amount from the horses mouth that would be great.

You are right it doesn't, i assumed it would be the same as a litre of WGJ at around 160g, if you can get the exact amount from the horses mouth that would be great.

If it is arround a litre of rgj then Its not worth me paying £3 a small bottle when a litre of supermarket 100% rgj is only £1
Would be great to find out thanks

If it is arround a litre of rgj then Its not worth me paying £3 a small bottle when a litre of supermarket 100% rgj is only £1

This is White Grape juice concentrate which is being discussed because WGJ is hard to find, RGJ is the exact opposite.

I found that the waitrose wgj had 290-300g of sugar in.

If it is arround a litre of rgj then Its not worth me paying ��£3 a small bottle when a litre of supermarket 100% rgj is only ��£1
ISTR reading that rgj is made from *eating* grapes wheareas rgc
is made from *wine* grapes

I was going to say that is a lot as all the ones I have used have been around 160g.

the 290-300g was from hydrometer reading, not side of pack.

{GoodOldPete:
ISTR reading that rgj is made from *eating* grapes wheareas rgc
is made from *wine* grapes }

Good point, but not always eg. Merlot grape juice at Waitrose.

Exactly better off just using juice. You could always add more Glycerin to give it body 1tsp per gallon is at the very very bottom of the scale or you could simmer some grape juice on the hob to reduce it and make your own concentrate

I assumed members were discussing WGJ concentrate as an alternative to WGJ which in some areas (like mine) is harder to find than hens teeth, why would anyone use concentrate which is more expensive it they can get WGJ. :-?

Back