I just had..

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin54

Landlord.
Reaction score
just about the worst curry take away imaginable.
I can't describe how bloody awful it is. It going in the bin. I can cook a bloody good curry from The Madhur Jaffray Indian cook book. So, thats what happening tomorrow, cook some proper authentic Indian food. I can't erase this horrible taste out of my mouth. Even a pint of home brew can't erase it and the memory is indelibly imprinted with this fowl taste. Rant over!

Slow cooked and rolled brisket (done by me) re-fried with home made tomato and mushroom sauce and butter sautéed potatoes.... feel any better?

I can't describe how bloody awful it is. It going in the bin. I can cook a bloody good curry from The Madhur Jaffray Indian cook book. So, thats what happening tomorrow, cook some proper authentic Indian food. I can't erase this horrible taste out of my mouth. Even a pint of home brew can't erase it and the memory is indelibly imprinted with this fowl taste. Rant over!

Chop a large onion fineley,cook in a little butter and oil in a heavy bottom saucepan on low for about 30 mins. Add 1 tsp each of turmeric, smoked paprika, cinammon, cumin and a couple of cardamom pods. Cook for another 15 mins, then add either tin of tomatoes or coconut milk, then your meat, chicken beef or lamb, cook with lid on for 20 mins, ( add garlic and chilli when you add your tin of whatever). Remember to have a beer whilst following these instructions!

Thanks chaps, Im sitting down and still reeling in horror. Thankfully the bin men come on friday!

Thanks chaps, Im sitting down and still reeling in horror. Thankfully the bin men come on friday!

Hope the bin men are more freindly than the ones around our way! Wont even put bin at the gate for us..... Miserable sods

our bin men are really good but then again we pay thru the nose for the service in the SE

When we went to the twickenham double header a few yeasr ago we went to a indian resturant in Hounslow..

They said bring a bottle so we bought some beers, they then said no only whiskey.. I mean who the hell goes to an indian and brings the Glennfidich?? Anyway they said its ok

we ordered starters just samosas 40mins later they came and they were frozen in the middle!!!! they took them away and bought they back still forzen and some had been cooked and were like lava!!.

then it was nearly an hour before the mains came.. meanwhile they started to turn lights off as we were the only customers left and the staff and some of teh kitchen were eating on the tablenext to us.. finally our mains arrived.. well some of them and they were not great.. some were missing!! needless to say we didnt pay for a fair bit of it..

Feel sorry for you...Indians aren't what they used to be..we have one we use which,for about 10 years was excellent! Then the chef leaves...it's now inconsistent. .
I'm an avid curry cooker....in fact ,much to the dismay of Gestapo headquarters, I'm cooking one now....indoors! My usual cooking of the hot stuff is outside on the bbq...in all weather's. ...with umbrellas! But atm out of gas! Using some of last year's frozen habenaro. ...the naga and Trinidad scorpion have yet to be used.
Cerveza with saaz and wheat beer in tow. ..

Cheers

Clint

When we went to the twickenham double header a few yeasr ago we went to a indian resturant in Hounslow..

They said bring a bottle so we bought some beers, they then said no only whiskey.. I mean who the hell goes to an indian and brings the Glennfidich?? Anyway they said its ok

we ordered starters just samosas 40mins later they came and they were frozen in the middle!!!! they took them away and bought they back still forzen and some had been cooked and were like lava!!.

then it was nearly an hour before the mains came.. meanwhile they started to turn lights off as we were the only customers left and the staff and some of teh kitchen were eating on the tablenext to us.. finally our mains arrived.. well some of them and they were not great.. some were missing!! needless to say we didnt pay for a fair bit of it..
i think true Indian cookery is hard to find, especially as most Indians are vegetarian.
jeez just burped and still, still that awful taste, (2 hours later) can't get rid of it..
Its all in the bin now

i think true Indian cookery is hard to find, especially as most Indians are vegetarian.
jeez just burped and still, still that awful taste, (2 hours later) can't get rid of it..
Its all in the bin now

THere are some excellent ones in Leicester and Birmingham.. but you have to find them..

Stopped going to takeaways for this very reason, can cook a better one myself and know whats in it.

we have one sit in place that we always have nice food but the rest is just run of the mill.

Its all in the bin now

It's NOT all in the bin now, some of it is in you!

Morrisons, ready done curries, perfectly edible, 2×starters + 2× mains =£6.00. They do chinese too, same deal. SWMBO picks up a takeaway there in the week - usually chinese - while I poor the beers......ahhh...she's a good girl...!:roll:

The traditional "Indians" seem to be disappearing round here after taking a downward turn in quality, to be replaced by Nepalese/Gurkha-run curry houses. One recently took over my local pub and it's heaven now, tasty curries and real ale a short journey down the road :)

Can recommend these guys for curry kits, been making them for a few years
http://www.curryfrenzy.com/ecomm/curryfrenzy/asp/curry-kits.asp

I feel so sorry for you. It must prove the balance of yin & yan.

if someone has pleasure then someone else must have pain :-(

because d-o-j's family went out to celebrate d-o-j- juniors 25th here...

http://www.pattiindiankitchenandlounge.co.uk/

we've been before when it was the 'patti raj' and it was one of a few places we'd go to, to have a tidy curry.

but it's had a makeover, orders taken on a tablet and a proper printed receipt at the end rather than handwritten.

the food was awesome - it's now top of our goto list. tried a bit of juniors korma. I find korma a pretty good standard curry where ever you rock up to, but this was sooo much better. I had butter chicken, again a revelation :grin:

this is in contrast to a morrisons hot chicken tikka curry I had last week. change of recipe and 3 pieces of disgusting chewy chicken. So I won't be having that again!

Ive made the executive decision to knock up a load of curry myself and freeze it. whatever came over me to buy from a shop, I don't know..losing my marbles.

Look up the curry guy and get some of his recipes.
I made one of his base restaurant curry sauces which can be frozen and used for any curry. Made the chicken Jalfrezi and it was great, he has a special way of cooking the chicken as well.
So for a quick curry you can defrost the sauce, defrost teh chicken and combine, Proper currys as well!

The traditional "Indians" seem to be disappearing round here after taking a downward turn in quality, to be replaced by Nepalese/Gurkha-run curry houses. One recently took over my local pub and it's heaven now, tasty curries and real ale a short journey down the road :)

Can recommend these guys for curry kits, been making them for a few years
http://www.curryfrenzy.com/ecomm/curryfrenzy/asp/curry-kits.asp
Do these kits come with all ingredients or is it just a spice pouch?

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Curry is really a hit or miss in the UK. The worst thing is that you can't judge by price. Normally you'd assume the cheap one is **** and the expensive one good, but especially in the Cambridge area that seems to be the opposite.

Here we don't have Curry restaurants. Here it's mostly indonesian food, which can be great too. I can kill for a good rendang ayam or babi kecap.

Latest posts

Back