Protofloc

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kronos

Reaction score
I have never heard of protofloc and the Dortmunder Export recipe says to add one tea spoon to the last 15 minutes of boil.

Is there anything better to use for a lager and where can I purchase some from?

I think Irish moss does the same thing, Home brew shops do them

Thank you Mick, I have just purchased some.:thumb:

Would you say one table is enough for 40 pints?

Yeah. The instructions on the ones I have (they aren't from GEB but they are my go-to shop) says half a tablet for 23 litres. I usually just throw a whole tab in with no ill effect.

Thank you Mick, I have just purchased some.:thumb:

Would you say one table is enough for 40 pints?
one tab is great for 40 pints. You will see big clumps of white stuff on the top of your brew as it ferments out (coagulated protein) and these will fall to the bottom when you cold crash it, leaving, hopefully a crystal clear beer in the bottle.

Funny, I was going to start a thread on Protofloc tablets. My Irish Moss ran out, was going to try Whirlfloc tablets but the supplier I used didn't have them. They had Protofloc, which I never heard of but thought I might as well have them.
I used half a tablet ten minutes before flame out. What a difference! The wort in my sample jar after boil cleared in about ten minutes, big clumps of protein in the bottom of the jar. Very happy.

I found instructions on using them here...
http://www.murphyandson.co.uk/Datasheets/PROTAFLOC TABLETS.pdf

I only use 1/3 of a protofloc tablet for 25L. It's powerful stuff. This much definitely works to coagulate the break material and help it settle out.

I only use 1/3 of a protofloc tablet for 25L. It's powerful stuff. This much definitely works to coagulate the break material and help it settle out.

Yep, that would fit in with the manufacturer's numbers. I used half a tablet because I was making a strong beer, 1.085 in the end.

I have just watched a Youtube video and it says that bright wort tablets (not sure if I have spelt it correctly) are supposed to be better that protafloc, can anyone verify this.

Latest posts

Back