Temperature.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scottl86

Reaction score
Started our first brew kit on Saturday but the temp is down below 16, is that going to cause any problems?

Assuming it a normal ale yeast you really want to warm it up to 18-20c to get the fermentation going and try keeping it at that temp to avoid stuck fermentation. Is it fermenting at all ???

Yes it's too low. You really need 18*C plus for the yeast to perform properly if it's not a true lager yeast. Sometimes you can get round this by using more yeast, but I've not tried that.
I would move it to a warmer place if you can or the yeast may give up too soon, and you may end up with a stuck fermentation (i.e. SG finishes higher than it should).
The glass half full scenario is that if you can't move it then just takes longer to finish the primary.

If it's bubbling away you might want to just leave it. I was using a brew belt for a while but ended up just leaving it off and it's been fine for me. As I don't ever use any heating I've got a lager lined up for the winter :)

It's an American IPA, will it ferment at a low temp? Even if it takes longer I'm in no rush

Yeast s will only ferment at a certain temperature range. for an American IPA kit, I'd expect the yeast to want a temp of 18-22 if it's a saf05 type. Is it actively fermenting with bubbles from the airlock??

Depends on the yeast. Nottingham for instance can ferment from 12c upwards. If it is not fermenting and you can't up the temperature perhaps pitch a packet of that. It will be fine in an IPA.

I have fermented us05 at 17 before (intentionally) and it was okay, some say you get peach flavour if it goes lower but I never got it.. 18-20 like stated above is the sweet spot but chances are it will be ok at 16 if we are talking ambient temp as inside that fermenter will probably go a few degrees higher

It only the first batch so I guess it's a bit trial and error (not that I want to waste any obviously),

The FV is kept in a boiler cupboard in a passage way, will check on it in the week and see what is going on with the airlock, if it's not bubbling after 10 days can someone suggest what my options are of how to proceed?

It only the first batch so I guess it's a bit trial and error (not that I want to waste any obviously),

The FV is kept in a boiler cupboard in a passage way, will check on it in the week and see what is going on with the airlock, if it's not bubbling after 10 days can someone suggest what my options are of how to proceed?
Your brew has been going for about a week from what you have said. If its proceeding, even slowly, there will be some signs of fermentation, like a krausen (foam) of some sort on the top. So I suggest you take a peek inside to see how its getting on. Also since the SG should have fallen from the OG reading you took at the beginning, you could take an SG reading to give you an idea of its progress.
Don't rely on bubbling airlocks, the seal between the FV and the lid often leaks which means CO2 bypasses the airlock .

After 10 days it should have fermented out. If it hasn't even started then your options are to either put it somewhere warmer or pitch yeast that can tolerate lower temperature eg Nottingham.

The longer you leave it the more chance you have of an infection taking over. The idea is to get yeast working on the beer quickly so that infection can't take hold.

As mentioned above check for signs of fermentation and take a hydrometer reading. It may be that it has been fermenting away despite the temp.

Checked on it today, any thoughts?

IMG_20161025_154313.jpg

What yeast was it you used. It doesn't look like an infection. Looks like it's where you have poured the yeast on top of the wort. Have you taken a gravity reading. Does it smell sour, vinegary?

Yep!! Lots.
First, you opened that up? Let's just invite all the bacteria you can imagine.
Second, you opened that up!? Oops, just said that. Sorry, the thought of open air to that makes my mind malfunction. Must be a mental thing.
Back to page 1... if too cold, ... wait, you opened that up!?, ... sorry back on track,
Cold... ok, just take some towels and soak them in, ... did you really open that up!?,
Focus... wrap the towels around the FV, the yeast will love you after they forgive you for... OPENING THE FV!! But yeast will try hard and move on!
But really, looks fine.

Yep!! Lots.
First, you opened that up? Let's just invite all the bacteria you can imagine.
Second, you opened that up!? Oops, just said that. Sorry, the thought of open air to that makes my mind malfunction. Must be a mental thing.
Back to page 1... if too cold, ... wait, you opened that up!?, ... sorry back on track,
Cold... ok, just take some towels and soak them in, ... did you really open that up!?,
Focus... wrap the towels around the FV, the yeast will love you after they forgive you for... OPENING THE FV!! But yeast will try hard and move on!
But really, looks fine.

:lol:

I'm going to be the first to admit it, I take the lid off my FV waaaaay more often that I should, it's a wide neck one so I've persuaded myself that's ok...and it's only for a second. Sorry.

:lol:

I'm going to be the first to admit it, I take the lid off my FV waaaaay more often that I should, it's a wide neck one so I've persuaded myself that's ok...and it's only for a second. Sorry.

I only take the lid off to remove pitching time hops and to dry hop further.

But I've always had a krausen visible through the opaque plastic and the temp has always been above 18 deg. When I have no post ferment dditions/removals I just leave if for 2 or 3 weeks depending on how strong my brew is planned to be (or OG), and it will be low enough to bottle. So I take an FG reading before it goes into my BB.

Took SG reading today, down to 1.012, only a couple more days before adding the hops?

IMG_20161102_154313.jpg

Latest posts

Back