Fine or not Fine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bernaaard

Reaction score
OK. So the beer I am making is a Stout that has come out better than I think I could have hoped for. I want the clearest possible brew as i am sure everyone does. I have had some really helpful advice from the guys on this forum but I am unsure whether to use finings or not.

I have a sachet of Wilkos finest finings but I wondered whether it was worth using, or whether time was indeed the best clearer.

Would love to know what everyone else does to achieve a rack bright brew? Is it worth fining for 2 days before bottling or just trusting the brew will be ok after 11 or 12 days in the FV ?

I only recently started fining using powdered gelatin and it definitely speeds up the clearing process. I brewed a kolsch recently which is generally lagered for an extended period to clear it but I didn't bother. Fined then crash cooled for a couple of days then bottled. It was grain to glass in 3 weeks and crystal clear.

Gelatin is great because it's so cheap and simple to use. Add half a tsp to about 100ml of cold water then heat in the microwave to 65-70°, stirring every few seconds, then just chuck it in your brew.

I used gelatine for years. I boiled water, dissolved gelatine and added. let stand for 24hrs then bottled.
the thing is is didn't improve the taste. I'm too lazy now and don't bother. funny thing is my beer is still clear...

One minor issue for me, but a big issue to one of my house guests. A lot of finings are a no no for vegetarians.

My own experience suggests that if your brew is a full mash, or an all malt extract then finings is not necessary and the beer will clear on its own and give a nice bright beer. If however you added sucrose or dextrose then I would consider using finings to help things along.
Hope that helps.

My own experience suggests that if your brew is a full mash, or an all malt extract then finings is not necessary and the beer will clear on its own and give a nice bright beer. If however you added sucrose or dextrose then I would consider using finings to help things along.
Hope that helps.
I used half a kilo of brown sugar, half a kilo of DME and a tin of treacle for a bit of extra flavour and it tastes outstanding. I have the sachet of finings but I am unclear on whether i just tip it in or do I stir it afterwards as well?

I used gelatine for years. I boiled water, dissolved gelatine and added. let stand for 24hrs then bottled.
the thing is is didn't improve the taste. I'm too lazy now and don't bother. funny thing is my beer is still clear...

One minor issue for me, but a big issue to one of my house guests. A lot of finings are a no no for vegetarians.

Egg white and egg shell worked in the last wine I did, a little too well actually and made my red look more like a rose. Veggie but not vegan.

"I want the clearest possible brew as i am sure everyone does."

Actually the current fashion is for cloudy unfiltered beer.

That aside I've found that gelatin works well.

I only recently started fining using powdered gelatin and it definitely speeds up the clearing process. I brewed a kolsch recently which is generally lagered for an extended period to clear it but I didn't bother. Fined then crash cooled for a couple of days then bottled. It was grain to glass in 3 weeks and crystal clear.

Gelatin is great because it's so cheap and simple to use. Add half a tsp to about 100ml of cold water then heat in the microwave to 65-70°, stirring every few seconds, then just chuck it in your brew.

I don't find lagering is just for clarity though.. I think it adds that crispness to the pallet which you don't get without an extended period in the cold..

I don't find lagering is just for clarity though.. I think it adds that crispness to the pallet which you don't get without an extended period in the cold..

That is certainly what conventional brewing wisdom tells us, however I have tried both methods and found the fast lagers to be just as good.

A long lagering period I'm sure does have an impact on flavour but I'm convinced the difference is not worth the extra effort or time. Give it a try for yourself, you may be surprised.

I've used finings for the first time, for a brew I'm going to bottle when I get home tonight.

I'm interested to see what difference, if any it makes.

My other pale ales have tended to clear up anyway, even without cold crashing or owning a beer fridge.

That is certainly what conventional brewing wisdom tells us, however I have tried both methods and found the fast lagers to be just as good.

A long lagering period I'm sure does have an impact on flavour but I'm convinced the difference is not worth the extra effort or time. Give it a try for yourself, you may be surprised.

I have. I find 4 weeks in the fridge they are much crisper. Not doing this they are fine however..I did this with pseudo lagers to great effect..

Of course like you say 5 weeks or so in the fridge is a long time. So I just put half in and drink the other half

I went with the finings in the end and placed it on a cool floor to clear as much as possible. The final product should have as little particulate in it as possible IMO. Just got to bottle it tomorrow night and then wait for a while.

Latest posts

Back