First AG eventually being brewed

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Croni486

Reaction score
After what seems like an eternity getting all my stuff together i'm embarking on my first AG today.

I did a quick trial run yesterday of my equipments and my only concern was the amount of time taken to get to a rolling boil (electric heated) due to heat loss. With the nearest hardware store not stocking any reflective roll and the next closest was a 60 mile round trip the McGyver in me used some bed slats from a bed i'd dismantled to line the outside pot.

The recipe for the AG was taken from Beersmith and called Dingles hoppy brew, but is near on identical to a two hearted IPA. Taken from advice given from a previous post I've deleted the 45 and 30 min hop additions in the original recipe and altered the IBU to reflect this.

5.44Kg Maris Otter
0.91Kg Vienna Malt
0.23Kg Cara-Pils
0.23Kg Crystal Malt
36 Centennial @60 mins
31g Centennial @15 mins
19g Cascade @15 mins
1 Whirlfloc @ 10 mins
28g Centennial @0 mins
1 Pkg Denny's Favourite 50 (Wyeast #WY1450)
28.35g Cascade Dry hop 7 days
28.35g Centennial Dry hop 7 days.

The yeast started i made up a couple of days ago looks good ( not that I'd know if it was bad) and is currently sat warming up ready to pitch later on.

I'll let you know how i get on.

Not enjoying it at all, had a problem with the pump recirculating through the herms. The temp has dropped to 64 with still another 20 mins left on the mash.

Not enjoying it at all, had a problem with the pump recirculating through the herms. The temp has dropped to 64 with still another 20 mins left on the mash.

Most of the starch conversion occurs in the first ten minutes or so so I wouldn't be too concerned about a bigger drop in temperature than you would wish for.

Pre boil gravity is down on the recipe, should be 1.058 and its 1.055. Happy with it so far.

Disaster, pumps kept getting blocked. At least i know what i need to do for the next one more filtration and maybe use hop bags to stop the blockages. ABV hopefully will come out at 5%.

For a first AG 1.055 is pretty close to 1.058 target. Are you using hop pellets or leaves?...I have only used pellets once and had problems with filter blocking and now only use leaves .

I read an article about 6 months ago regarding mash temps, I'm sure that it was a link posted on here.
Anyhow, the guy did some measured and well documented testing and concluded no discernable difference with the final outcome of his beer.
I don't recall the exact specifics, but the mash temperatures ranged between something stupid like 78 and 58 degrees C.

From my own experience (and I'm far from an expert), my mash temps have ranged from 70 down to 64 and every beer I've done turned out fine.

Hi,

I used pellets for this brew, I think the blockages were caused by being a bit eager. I should have left the mash to settle a bit and slowly open the tap and maybe vorlauf a couple of litres to settle the bed. Similar at the end of the boil i didn't let the wort settle enough after whirlpooling.

It's all a learning curve, next brew will be better i hope now i know that i need to filter the fluid better before getting to the pumps.

Congratulations on your first brew. Sounds like it didn't go too bad.

Just bought and used one of these www.brewstore.co.uk/mangrove-jack-s-hop-spider

Like it a lot. Was getting blockages in my tap when using pellets. I only used it for the pellets I had in the recipe. I might get a second one and put all the hops in.

Also after having issues with grain blockages I moved to using a grain bag which solved that issue.

Both make cleaning up easier as well.

I've decided to have another attempt at this. Hopefully the issues with teh stuck sparge etc I will have managed to sort out.

The last brew was put into the corny keg yesterday and just going to let it carbonate slowly as i'm away for the weekend so there is no rush.

Bit too cold to be in the garage and i'm a bit concerned that if i can get the HERMS working properly that the MT will loose temps rapidly.

Here goes.

Hit the OG and then some, but nowhere near enough in the BV to give me 23ltrs post boil.

Another rookie error, stopped my sparge when the run off was down to 1.010 but never took into account the wort temp and converting it to a true reading. If i'd collected the right amount i would have probably not overshot the OG.

Latest posts

Back